Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Refueling Again!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently getting 13.5 with the truck pictured below. Motor is stock except for a turbo back straight exhaust. I'd like to add an intake, seems AFE stage 2 is the best choice. Is that too much for my truck and what kind of fuel mileage gain can I expect once she is breathing better? Any other reasonably priced suggestions would be appreciated!!

lake forest 9.JPG

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Have you re-geared for the big tires?

Also a tuner would help ya some because you will get some power back
:whs:

I didnt see hardly any improvment in mileage in till i bought my tuner and then it improved quite a bit.. the trick is keeping your foot out of the go fast pedal....

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
dont waste the money on the afe II, just go get a 6637, look it up on here most of us run it, nice, big filter, and affordable

·
Refueling Again!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the options. I did some research on the 6637, looks like a nice cheaper alternative. As far as gears, I believe they are stock. What do you recommend? And what tuner (I've heard good things about DP) - again I'm looking for fuel mileage, don't care about burning the tires off - they cost TOO much!!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Put the 6637 on there unless you want it to look better in which case the AFE is very nice. A others have said you really need to add a chip more than anything else after you get the air flowing. I woudl save the moeny you are going to spend to get some fancy extra metal etc with the AFE and do the 6637 and take the left over money and buy a chip.

I run [email protected]'s tunes and would highly recommend them to anyone. Bill @ PHP, Beans, etc... All make very nice tunes. From what I have seen you will pick up 2-4 mpg with the tune in combo with intake and exhaust AND PROPER CONSERVATIVE USE OF THAT GO PEDAL. A the mpg you are getting or lack there of I can almost guarentee that you will gain the most by changing your driving habits. Start off slow, coast to lights instead of rushing up and then braking hard. Plan a bit ahead so you can stay off the pedal. The biggest thing I find most that kills peoples mpg is taking off and getting up to speed too fast and not planning their stopping better. Cutting just 5 mph off your highway crusing speed many times will gain you 1 mpg durig that time. Drive conservative while you are doing your cruising and DD stuff and then when you want to; get on it and goes balls to the wall, hold nothing back. Balance. A few quarter mile runs a tank will have very little effect compared to constantly driving hard DD.

Here is some reading on chips and general info about them and the tuners that offer the various tunes for those chips.

Some quiet reading for you to research chips and what will work best FOR YOU and YOUR GOALS.

As for tuners versus chips Tunes you can not switch tunes on the fly you also will be limited to generic tunes or only one maybe two custom tuners and then you will be very limited in your choice again. In just about every way the chip is better choice. One thing that can be of confusion on here if you are somewhat new is the use of the term "tuner". On here we are almost never referring to the device called a "tuner" but the person that actually is writing the tunes themselves for the chips.

I would say, easily, 99%+ of members on here and most other dedicated 7.3 sites use a chip not a tuner.

One other thing to keep in mind: the maker of the popular chip used by many tuners to installed there tunes on is the "TS chip" )6 position chip). But that same manf also sell that chip with generic tunes directly to the public as well. So you will see comments about "TS style chips" from one of the custom tuners you are about to learn about with some reading. You want the ones from the custom tuners not the generic TS chip and tunes directly from TS or others. You will quickly understnad the differnce with some reading.

Of the various custom tuners out there these are the poplar ones with the best reps. Read the thread links below to learn more about them to help you make your choice:

Custom Tuners:

Swamps (Jonathan)

Gearhead Automotive (Matt)

Beans (Jonathan)

BTS (Cale)

Power Hungry Performance (Bill)

Diesel Innovations (David)

Total Diesel Performance(Tony TW)

Truck Source Diesel

DP Tuner(Jody)

Most every question you can have about chips the tuners who's tunes are run on them should be answered in the threads linked below. Including which is best, this tuner versus that, this chip versus that, etc... If not ask and I am sure you will get answers.

Superchips 1805 vs Custom Chip ? - Powerstroke Nation

Chip vs Programmer - Powerstroke Nation

programmer for an early 99 - Powerstroke Nation

Dp Tuner vs. TS performance - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

After all this... A Cracked Block. - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

best tuner/chip for 02 7.3? - Powerstroke Nation

chip AND programmer??? - Powerstroke Nation

Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner - Powerstroke Nation

Need some opinions - Powerstroke Nation

Another chip question... - Powerstroke Nation

Chips??????? - Powerstroke Nation

looking into getting a TS chip - Powerstroke Nation

What are your thoughts on Powerhungryperformance chips - Powerstroke Nation

Looking for a new chip - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

Piston Star Patterns - continued - Discuss - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

looking for another progammer - Powerstroke Nation

STACKING TUNERS CAN YOU GUYS EXPLAIN - Powerstroke Nation

Recommendations on Tuners - Powerstroke Nation

Are flip-chips harmful to PCM's? - Powerstroke Nation

99.5 wanting to get a chip - Powerstroke Nation

PHP tuner and the fun times you can have with it! - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

High miles and new chip? - Powerstroke Nation

DpTuner - Powerstroke Nation

chip questions - Powerstroke Nation

TW tuning ? - Powerstroke Nation

more power? - Powerstroke Nation

Need more Powa! - Powerstroke Nation

TS CHIP TUNES - Powerstroke Nation

Empire tunes? - Powerstroke Nation

just got my new tuner have a question??? - Powerstroke Nation

bdp custom 7.3 tuning - Powerstroke Nation

chip installation - Powerstroke Nation

Tony Wildman Tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Best Tuner - Powerstroke Nation

TUNING - Powerstroke Nation

so its time for tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Gearhead Automotive Performance Customers! - Powerstroke Nation

pricing out a chip and have some ?'s - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I was seein about 16.5mph on 38's with stock 3.73 gears, bully dog 6position(which I wouldnt recomend) II phat stroker turbo, 4" tb and a S&B cai(which was also junk)

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I know if i was running anything bigger than what I am now i would go with a 4.10 gear. I know there are calculators out there that you can use that will tell you what gears to go with to bring you back into stock range with them size tires.

As fare as tuning goes. I recommend Matt a Gearhead Automotive or Bill at PHP

I have ran a few different tuners and them are the 2 I am most impressed with.

But there are many other great tuners on this site that will do what you want. Just read up on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts