Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why run a Holley gas pump on a diesel when you can run a diesel specific pump frame rail mounted lift pump from a 99-02 super duty with a bypass regulator regulated down to the 7-9psi we need. These pumps put out 60psi and I feel we would never have a pressure drop a wot like with the Holley red or blue pumps! Opinions?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Thats similar to what I was planning before I went with my holley blue, except I was going to use a 255lph Walbro, they are much cheaper than the SD pumps and flow plenty. I decided to roll with the holley blue because it will feed an IDI just fine, and I didnt have to fab a larger return system. If the holley cant feed it and drops FP, Ill go with a return style system, but if your holley blue is dropping pressure on an IDI, your most likely suffering from a restriction in the supply side of the pump, because those pumps move plenty of fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The holley blue pump will not pump my wmo mix I run. I will never just run diesel. I recycle the waste oil from my shop as fuel in my truck. Free fuel!! Plus the btu content of wmo is much higher than diesel. In other words there is more of a power potential with wmo. Plus Holley doesn't recommend using the red or blue pump for diesel. And the reason all vehicles run a return fuel system is to eliminate the pressure drop at wot. Which will cause a loss of performance in any motor. This is why I believe running this pump would be much more beneficial to anyone trying to make more than stock power from an IDI motor. By the way I'm building a compound turbo system on my truck and I only plan on using a stock rebuilt pump re timed with the fuel curve slightly on my home made test bench.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Is the holley blue going to hold up to the diesel fuel? I know the reds were failing

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Is the holley blue going to hold up to the diesel fuel? I know the reds were failing
CTD guys run the blue from what I found. I found good and bad reviews on them. I think its worth the $100 to try it out, if it doesn't work, lesson learned, then I will spend the $$ on an airdog, fass, mitusa.. ect.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thats similar to what I was planning before I went with my holley blue, except I was going to use a 255lph Walbro, they are much cheaper than the SD pumps and flow plenty. I decided to roll with the holley blue because it will feed an IDI just fine, and I didnt have to fab a larger return system. If the holley cant feed it and drops FP, Ill go with a return style system, but if your holley blue is dropping pressure on an IDI, your most likely suffering from a restriction in the supply side of the pump, because those pumps move plenty of fuel.
If one was to use a SD lift pump, what would it entail to convert it over to it? What would you have to fab up for the return system?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
How does the return style setup on the OSB PSD and SD PSD trucks compare to the return on the IDI trucks? If the size is similar, I wouldnt mine trying to run the stock return with a reg and high pressure pump, that setup is obviously superior, however, I highly doubt the SD pump is going to help you run WMO any more effectively than a blue pump. WMO needs to be warmed to be pumped effectively, in either setup. All I know is my generic blue pump is all metal, and I just dont see how it could be effected negatively by reg diesel fuel.

We shall see...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That would be really superior IMO. I think that lift pump are a lot more reliable in a diesel application than the Holley pumps. Idk much about the the blue pump but I do know that the red is notorious for failing on our trucks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So for those of us not really familiar with the SD pump, are these not inline? Do you have to redo the whole system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts