Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got the ITP regulated return w/ bowl delete and I installed it last weekend. I had a few leaks that have all been addressed and fixed with one exception. The rear passenger side fitting is leaking still. I have had the fitting out at least 3 or 4 times now trying to get it to stop and have double wrapped it with yellow teflon tape AND permatex thread sealer.. It is still leaking and I have no idea what to do next or how to get it to stop.. I have snugged it up pretty tight but am afraid to "reef" on it and crack the head.

I can see the fitting with an inspection mirror and it is definitely leaking where the fitting screws in the rear port.

Any ideas?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I hated that one too, I had the same problem with the DI kit. I just got brave and put one more turn on it and it stoped seeping. I would worry more about braking the fitting off then cracking the head.

Dan

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hated that one too, I had the same problem with the DI kit. I just got brave and put one more turn on it and it stoped seeping. I would worry more about braking the fitting off then cracking the head.

Dan

Yep that is what mine is doing.. Just seeping enough to make a small puddle under the truck..

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
u have cranked down enuf on it, i would tighten one more time, if it continues, then i would repalce the fitting, maybe the fitting is damaged?

·
Stupid Kid
383 Posts
Replace the fitting and that should cure your problem. If I ever have mine out for any reason I always replace the fitting with a new one.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the fitting and that should cure your problem. If I ever have mine out for any reason I always replace the fitting with a new one.
At this point I am willing to try anything!

I am gonna try some Rectorseal 5 and see if that works too.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I can recall of two posters that cracked the head by putting to much torque on that fitting. I would throw a new on in there before I went bionic on it.

Tom

·
Registered
692 Posts
Try a new fitting. I had one fitting on the fuel filter housing that would not seal no matter what I did. I put in new one and it quit leaking. Somtimes the fittings look just fine, but won't seal due to a flaw that can't be seen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you sure it is the fitting at the head port. I had problems with the tube connector to the JIC side of the adapter on that side. I ended up cranking it down and it went away. On the driver side I could not get the fitting to stop leaking at the tube no matter how much I cranked it down. Dennis sent me a new tube and it solved it. I to was very scared of cracking the head. If you still have the plugs/check valves that were in there originally take a look at how far they were in there. If you arent going any deeper than taht you should have nothing to worry about. I used Loctite 545 at the suggestion of FN74 and it worked fine on that fitting and on the drivers side I have regular teflon tape with 2 wraps and no problems because I did not want to wait for the loctite to dry. Be sure to get all the fuel out if you are going to use loctite. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm sure its coming from the head. With the system pressurized, I can look with a mirror and see it weeping. I just pulled it out again and noticed my yellow teflon tape got bunched up and wasn't on the treads so thats my problem there. I scrapped the teflon and put on some pipe dope called "rectorseal 5" that I saw some were using.. I'm gonna let it setup overnight and hope that takes care of it.. If not, I'll try a new fitting tommorrow.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I have noticed in ym line of work, if u use too much teflon tape, it will bunch up like u saw and will leak. As a general rule in the air force when we use it, we tell our troops to put no more than a full loop[ and a half of the tape on the threads.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Just enough to hold itself in place. Same place I learned that.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the Rectorseal 5 didn't work either.. Fitting still seeping.. I'm getting close to using my Glock .45 :mad:

A diesel mechanic I talked with today gave me a tube of green loctite and said to try that.. Hell I'm about to use JB Weld :doh:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
try a new fitting..if you can aquire one ..
hope your drive way isn't blacktop..if so you may want to slide a catch board there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts