Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had an opportunity to pick up a 97 cclb powerstroke and I couldn't pass on it. When I picked it up the guy said that it leaked fuel because it sat for so long and was hardly ever driven. He said the long sitting caused some kind of algae to grow in the fuel bowl or lines and it caused the leak? It only drips a little bit and only after you shut it off after driving it, but with diesel approaching. $4 a gallon every drop counts haha.
1. Has anyone ever heard of this algae problem before?
2. Is there any kind of additive I can use to clear it out or do I need to replace the lines and fuel bowl and possibly even the tank?
3. Could this kill the trucks engine if untreated?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I finally had an opportunity to pick up a 97 cclb powerstroke and I couldn't pass on it. When I picked it up the guy said that it leaked fuel because it sat for so long and was hardly ever driven. He said the long sitting caused some kind of algae to grow in the fuel bowl or lines and it caused the leak? It only drips a little bit and only after you shut it off after driving it, but with diesel approaching. $4 a gallon every drop counts haha.
2. Is there any kind of additive I can use to clear it out or do I need to replace the lines and fuel bowl and possibly even the tank?

Thanks for the help!
My neighbor is a Ford mechanic 23yrs in the biz. Anyway I will ask him and post his response. Give me a few hours, he should be waking up soon.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Thanks for the help!
OK here it is. YES it is possible to grow algae in your fuel system due to the presence of moisture.
Now have you drained the water out of fuel bowl?

Now Amsoil does not have a product to get rid of algae.
So I recommend Diesel Extreme - Hot Shots Secret This will do the job. You just add a little to each fill up. Now this WILL clean out your system, but may not completely kill the algae. You will need a bio-side for that, if you call the hotshot secret guys they do have a bio-side it is just not on there web site.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thank you for the response. I will have to look into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts