Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a small fuel leak in the front of my motor right off the back of where my fuel filter is havent dug into that yet.... But my biggest thing I cant find is I am leaking fuel dripping out of my bell housing? Not sure where its coming from? Its not from the small leak in the front because even if my truck is pointed down hill it still leaks? Im confused! All my cummins buddies are telling me to sell the truck haha help please!

·
Registered
32 Posts
fuel filter housing o-ring could be bad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it looks like underneath of it? On the back of it there is a big circle with a e clip lookin thing in it right below that from what I can see but it could be coming from the front of the fuel filter and rolling underneath never thought about that! But still stumped on the back side of the motor leak down the front of my tranny

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine did the same thing until i replaced the o-ring on the bleed off valve located on the backside of the filter housing. the o-ring store, 1o bucks if i can recall correctly. hope this helps

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool just dont know how it makes it to the back of the motor? Ill change fuel filter and where exactly is that o ring ur talkin about? That big.circle thing? Or what? There is a brown line that come out of the back that looks really wet but.might just be spraying on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
on my 7.3 the fuel was finding its way to the back of the motor by running down to the back of the valley and finding its way out. its a common fuel leak, and an easy fix, search it here on psn, thats what i did.

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
orings on drain valve..and it leaks to the valley and there is a whole in the back of the valley it runs out.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Reach your hand behind the fuel bowl and locate the yellow drain valve lever and feel around on it and see if your hand comes up wet with diesel. From that drain valve is a short rubber fuel line that should be attached to a steel hardline that eventually makes it way down on the passenger side of the engine near the passenger shock absorber mount. Here are O-rings to fix those leaks. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=browse&action=list&group=6&cat=7&orderby=DESCRIPTION Here is how to repair the yellow drain valve. http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/FuelDrain.pdf Here are other common repairs to the fuel bowl leaks. http://dieselorings.com/docs/FuelBowlRebuild.pdf
Go ahead and search the Diesel O Ring website over and get familiar with some common repair O-rings and other parts.

·
i_b_strokin
93 Posts
if it gets really bad while waiting on new ones to arrive ...take them out and flip them over it will stop the leak for a little while

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I replaced the 3 orings for the fuel shut off this morning. I am still leaking fuel off the back side of the motor!? Any other ideas?

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
If you have repaired replaced the drain valve O rings next check fuel filter lid for leaks. Check fuel bowl for cracks. Check fuel lines and fittings from fuel bowl to heads in engine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have had two experiences with 7.3L fuel filter housings.... The first one was a persistent small leak that dripped off the rear of the engine... At first, i pulled the fuel filter base out and completely resealed it along with new hoses. The leak slowed down to almost nothing... but would not completely quit. After seveal weeks and washing the engine twice to make sure, I finally determined that I originally had two leaks, one on the filter base, and the other was the transfer pump itself, so after replacing it as well, the leaks stopped...
The other one was my B.I.L.'s trucks.. it sat for approx. 2 months without being started and shortly after driving it to town, it developed a pretty significant leak..... THinking about the previous one, I immediately pulled the filter base and disassembled, only to find no bad o-rings!!.. What I did find was a hole in the housing just below the WIF sensor where the years of crud/moisture had accumulated and basically rotted the housing... (its extremely thin in that area so it didnt take much) The entire inside of the filter housing below the heater plate had pitting!!... I believe this is what happens when you use quickie lubes for years to do the maintenance... Most of them never drain the housing before a filter swap...

·
sweet97
7 Posts
My 97 7.3 has the same leak running down the back side of the motor, but mine is leaking on the driver side fuel return line that runs to the banjo bolt on the back side of the fuel pump. Problem is there is a 90 coming out of the head and to tighten it you have to remove the turbo and pedestal so I have been looking around trying to find a simpler fix

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you replaced the orings on the fuel bowl an still have a leak looking like its coming from back if engine its either there is diesel still in the valley or the sleeve needs to be replaced on the fuel line that is attached to the back of the passenger side head.

thise orings need to be replaced every so often but thats most likely the culprit. they have the whole oring set to replace all orings on the lines an the whole fuel bowl at dieselorings.com.

hope this helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts