Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had a new motor built and it ran amazing then suddenly it stopped running and I took it to get looked at. The diesel shop indicated an injector blew up and needed to be replaced, I agreed and it was running great for about 40 miles... Long story short is pieces of the injector made it to the low pressure oil pump and scarred the timing cover and I lost oil pressure. Before I replace the timing cover and oil pump should I look elsewhere for more injector pieces or just the oil pan? I think the oil goes from the pump straight to the filter correct? I'm a gas mechanic with my own shop but do very little diesel work. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know exactly as the injector was replaced at a shop but a small piece made it down there.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,634 Posts
The oil goes through the oil cooler before the filter. I'll attach a diagram of the flow.

Unfortunately there is quite a bit of evidence that the filter is bypassed on some cold start-ups due to the higher pressure drop of cold oil. This could provide the opportunity for the contaminants to get to the oil cooler sump and possibly feed the HPOP.
Oil flow.jpg

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,634 Posts
Our engines did not have a wear sleeve from the factory, so it's normal to not have one on the crank if it is original. The replacement seals come with a wear sleeve.

Note -
The black plugs in the pic above are the bed plate seals. You are supposed to cut the sealant before pulling the front cover gasket off, otherwise you will have an oil leak​

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our engines did not have a wear sleeve from the factory, so it's normal to not have one on the crank if it is original. The replacement seals come with a wear sleeve.
It has one and I need to remove it. Any tips?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you soo much!

I just got the truck in my hands and I pulled out the oil pressure regulator and this is what I found... The smaller piece is obviously part of the ring from the injector but the other piece was inside the hole in the regulator. Anyone know what it is or seen this before? OI have yet to pull the rest of the pump or the timing cover...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts