Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the track with a little over a half a tank of diesel. I make 2 runs then back it up to the fence, sit on the tailgate and drink Beer and watch the races for a couple hours. While driving home, my fuel gauge starts climbing ever so slowly till my truck is eventually FULL. I have nothing else out of the ordinary. What would cause this? the next day, I go put $55 worth of Diesel in it. Now my gauge is permanently stuck on full. HELP.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
When you did your mods to your tank, did you get in the tank at all? Could you have messed with a wire to the tank? Or it is possible that you just got a sending unit going bad.

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts
somebody put free fuel in your truck...LOL or what smokey said.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get in the tank but it has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks since then. Why would this happen after I just made 2 hard launches down the track?

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts
wires rubbing?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Float is stuck. Smack on the side of your tank with a baseball bat. It knocks it loose a lot of times, faster than pulling the tank back out.

Also check the wires coming from the tank. You might have crimped them and they finally shorted out.

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts
Float is stuck. Smack on the side of your tank with a baseball bat. It knocks it loose a lot of times, faster than pulling the tank back out.

Also check the wires coming from the tank. You might have crimped them and they finally shorted out.
baseball bats fix everything.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Ill try beating on the side of the tank. Thanks guys.
(Its not like I was going fast enough down the track to hurt anything). :pointlaugh:

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
Could be the sender, mine went bad on my 02 and it got stuck on full.

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
Happened to me, just got my new sending unit in the mail today. 300$ from Powerstrokeshop.com.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap. Is that the hole unit that mounts in the tank? I really dont want to drop the tank again. Do you have a link for this sending unit? I tried beating on the side of the tank but that did not help. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
7 Posts
My truck had the same problem after a boosted launch (only had 5000 miles since new. It was stuck on full for months. Got sick of it and the delaer fixed it under warranty and they advised they had to pull the tank out to do it.

Now once my low fuel light comes on i still have 1/3 tank of fuel left..:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Same thing happened to me too. Mine stays at full 99% of the time. Once a month or less it will drop all the way down to E and the light comes on and it beeps and it scares the crap out of me...Then it goes back to full.
At first I thought my float was stuck too. I beat the ever loving hell out of the tank, to no avail. So I think the sending unit went bad, but IDK why a couple hard launches and runs down the strip caused it to go bad?

Oh well, I am too cheap to change it. I check my milage at every fillup, so I know what I am getting all the time. My trip meter is now my fuel gauge :D

By the way, this happened to me 16 months ago, and it still isn't fixed .....LOL

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same thing happened to me too. Mine stays at full 99% of the time. Once a month or less it will drop all the way down to E and the light comes on and it beeps and it scares the crap out of me...Then it goes back to full.
At first I thought my float was stuck too. I beat the ever loving hell out of the tank, to no avail. So I think the sending unit went bad, but IDK why a couple hard launches and runs down the strip caused it to go bad?

Oh well, I am too cheap to change it. I check my milage at every fillup, so I know what I am getting all the time. My trip meter is now my fuel gauge :D

By the way, this happened to me 16 months ago, and it still isn't fixed .....LOL
Im doing the mileage watch now between fill-ups also. Ill fix it, I just dont have time right now. Thanks for helping me narrow it down guys.

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
No u need #7 from the picture.

·
Milk Truck
1,490 Posts
Same thing happenned to me at the track last Friday. So #7 is the right piece?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
We see that a lot, what happens is the float gets pushed up and it sticks at the top of the tank, depending on the fuel level and the severity of the launch the fuel will all move to the back of the tank with sufficient force to slam the float up.

Beat on the side of the tank or drop it. We just fill the tanks up and don't have that problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts