Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I new here, and I am looking for advice on a fuel gauge problem, that has gradually gotten worse over the last 10 years.
First off, I bought this truck new in Feb. 98, left over 97, love the body style. It has just over 42,000 miles, and always garaged,
never driven in snow/salt , wouldn't think off it. The problem is, the fuel gauge will read full ( both tanks) when there is approx.
1/4 in the tanks, then as you drive, the gauge slowly moves down to 1/4, where it should be. Then , if you switch tanks, say from
front to rear, the rear tank pegs all the way past full, and like the front tank, gradually moves to 1/4. As much as this truck sets, the fuel
gets stale, and I have to pump the tanks out every so often, maybe there is residue built up on the tank senders? Any input will
be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dave,

I have this same problem on the rear tank in my 97 and I definitely don't have stale fuel. My old 87 used to do this as well. I think (and have read other antidotes) it is a problem with the design of the sender. I have learned that when it is a 1/4th tank that is it time to fill up.

Cj

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I haven't seen a OBS Ford truck with a sender that accurately reported the amount of fuel in the tank.

On mine you can watch the fuel drop on the rear tank but go forever on E, on the front tank it will stay forever on the F but as soon as it hits E it is empty +. It was the same way on my 84 and 87.

You just learn how they are. You might be able to help it you bent the float arm but that would be trial and err and take a long time to get it right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't seen a OBS Ford truck with a sender that accurately reported the amount of fuel in the tank.

On mine you can watch the fuel drop on the rear tank but go forever on E, on the front tank it will stay forever on the F but as soon as it hits E it is empty +. It was the same way on my 84 and 87.

You just learn how they are. You might be able to help it you bent the float arm but that would be trial and err and take a long time to get it right.
Well I pulled the rear tank tonight, that was a real treat
I’ll tell you, LoL. I think I found
Out why the fuel gauge was
Acting weird. Must have got a
Bad tank of fuel. I will try to up load pics. Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it would take more than 1 load of bad fuel to do that. More likely, it's from letting the truck sit for years without the tank being FULL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd start shopping at FordParts, TascaParts, & RockAuto to find the Ford/MC PNs. Then I'd shop those on Amazon, ebay, & everywhere else for the best shipped price.

·
don't play well w others
3,747 Posts
Add another ground when you put it back. That is the cure for the gas trucks.
I bought my last tanks straps, and hanging units from rockauto as a kit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts