Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So as some of you know, my fuel pressure is riding right at 30-35 PSI, and I think it's the combination of dirty fuel filters and a worn out regulator spring. So I plan on changing out both this weekend. I am upgrading the the new blue spring, and I will be using Racor filters. But here is my question, which fuel filter kit should I get? There is only an $0.86 cent difference, so that is not a factor.

Which will be better for raising my fuel pressure? I have heard that the FD-4616 kit requires more pressure, so therefore it might could lower your pressure...

But I wanna hear your guys opinion/comments! :D I will be ordering tonight or in the morning most likely.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I use the Racor 4604.... it was just replacedby the other, i honestly havent heard of them blocking fuel flow... Ill try the 4616 next time and see if mine drops from its normal 58psi... gotta wait 9k miles though :D

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just heard that the new spring was supposed to go along with the new filter set, as the new filter set required more fuel pressure. I could have gotten incorrect info though.

And I just replaced mine like 6k ago. :doh: Evidently, the owner of this truck before me didn't ever change them. I changed them with NAPA filters for the first time (stupid, but I didn't know any better) and they clogged within 500 miles. :doh:

Not to mention the diesel quality here SUCKS!

I

·
0 Posts
Hey guys,

So as some of you know, my fuel pressure is riding right at 30-35 PSI, and I think it's the combination of dirty fuel filters and a worn out regulator spring. So I plan on changing out both this weekend. I am upgrading the the new blue spring, and I will be using Racor filters. But here is my question, which fuel filter kit should I get? There is only an $0.86 cent difference, so that is not a factor.

Which will be better for raising my fuel pressure? I have heard that the FD-4616 kit requires more pressure, so therefore it might could lower your pressure...

But I wanna hear your guys opinion/comments! :D I will be ordering tonight or in the morning most likely.
You will not be able to buy 4604 filter kits in the near future.. The 4616 has an added O-ring to keep water from getting through.. My fuel pressure dropped and I had problems pulling hard until I installed the updated FPR kit.. It's fine now..

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I'm starting to lean towards the 4604, but then again the diesel is half water here... LOL

I

·
0 Posts
Hmmm... I'm starting to lean towards the 4604, but then again the diesel is half water here... LOL
Use the 4604's if you can buy them... Most places I use to buy them from don't have them anymore.. I never had any problem with the old ones but I drained the seperator pretty often.. The 4616 is all I can find so I had to make the switch and when I did I installed the upgraded kit for $68.00.. The last thing you want to do to 6.0's injectors is feed them water or not enough fuel..

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DieselFiltersOnline has both. :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
DieselFiltersOnline has both. :D
:whs:
very good price. Even beats my dealer cost from a local Ford dealer. While on the subject of fuel filters, here are two Napa's
one is the the Napa Gold which is the all according type dealer cost $43.
the other is Napa Pro select which looks like the Ford Motorcraft: DC $46.

what are your thoughts. I was think of using the proselect next time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
While on the subject of fuel filters, here are two Napa's

Attachments

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NAPA's are crap. Why use them when you can get Racor/Motorcraft filters for $35?

I

·
0 Posts
While on the subject of fuel filters, here are two Napa's

You mean prime gaurd? If so the membrane is different..

·
Registered
858 Posts
You mean prime gaurd? If so the membrane is different..
Part: SFI 23899
Product Line: NAPA ProSelect Filters

List Price: 69.00
Your Cost: 46.00
Unit : each

Features & Benefits
Fuel Filters Match OE Dimensions For Best Form, Fit & Function; Manufactured Using Similar Material As OE Providing Same Look & Feel; Fuel Filters Contain A Premium Performing Filter Media; Fuel Filters Abide By Global TS16494 Quality System For Best Quality Assurance Possible; NAPA Filters Are Covered By A Comprehensive Limited Product Warranty; NAPA Filters May Pay The Reasonable Cost For Parts & Labor To Repair; Any System Damaged By NAPA Filters Due To A Defect In Design Or Material.
Features and Benefits PDF

Attributes
Fuel Filter Gasket Thickness (Inches) : .16"
Fuel Filter Gasket Thickness (mm) : 4 mm
Fuel Filter Height (Inches) : 4.33"
Fuel Filter Height (mm) : 110 mm
Fuel Filter I.D. (Inches) : 1.65"
Fuel Filter I.D. (mm) : 42 mm
Fuel Filter O.D. (Inches) : 3.35"
Fuel Filter O.D. (mm) : 85 mm
Fuel Filter Style : Cartridge Fuel Filter (Dual Pack)
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 3.62"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 92 mm
Micron Rating : 99 Deg at 20 Microns

I

·
0 Posts
Part: SFI 23899
Product Line: NAPA ProSelect Filters

List Price: 69.00
Your Cost: 46.00
Unit : each

Features & Benefits
Fuel Filters Match OE Dimensions For Best Form, Fit & Function; Manufactured Using Similar Material As OE Providing Same Look & Feel; Fuel Filters Contain A Premium Performing Filter Media; Fuel Filters Abide By Global TS16494 Quality System For Best Quality Assurance Possible; NAPA Filters Are Covered By A Comprehensive Limited Product Warranty; NAPA Filters May Pay The Reasonable Cost For Parts & Labor To Repair; Any System Damaged By NAPA Filters Due To A Defect In Design Or Material.
Features and Benefits PDF

Attributes
Fuel Filter Gasket Thickness (Inches) : .16"
Fuel Filter Gasket Thickness (mm) : 4 mm
Fuel Filter Height (Inches) : 4.33"
Fuel Filter Height (mm) : 110 mm
Fuel Filter I.D. (Inches) : 1.65"
Fuel Filter I.D. (mm) : 42 mm
Fuel Filter O.D. (Inches) : 3.35"
Fuel Filter O.D. (mm) : 85 mm
Fuel Filter Style : Cartridge Fuel Filter (Dual Pack)
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 3.62"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 92 mm
Micron Rating : 99 Deg at 20 Microns
I never used anything but the Motorcraft or Racor filters on my 6.0.. I really have never looked at any other brand... I have a buddy that is the service advisor at my local Ford garage so I let them do it..

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
One thing not readily apparent is the pressure drop that these aftermarket filters have. Many of them have as much as a 10 psig drop right out of the box. As easy as it is to use OEM, that is the best way to go. Get the filters at an International dealership and they are cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts