Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first time changing my filter on the motor. what tool do i need to unscrew the black plastic cap???
all so, what filter can you run pre-pump. the guy before me has a carb fuel filter. was thing of putting a aeromotive or allstar -8 or -10 in line.
thanks in advance!
Dan

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
depends on what the cap looks like. Ive seen at least 3 different styles... I have a napa filter base with a water seperator filter.

My fuel comes out the tank, in the water seperator, back to the factory fuel line, the pump, etc.

It wasnt too bad to do and id rather change that $12.00 filter vs the $65.00 filter in the valley

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
@choupique-my local carquest charged me 24 dollars for the filter last time I went there and I said "Hey, pardner, I wanted the good filter for my diesel fuel." The guy at carquest said, "I know. I charged it under a local farmers account and thats the fleet price he gets. Pardner."

It showed it at 76.45 last time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm talking about the black plastic cap. i already have the filter. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have a matco fuel cap tool i dont have the part number but any matco guy should have it on their truck as well as any other tool truck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a matco fuel cap tool i dont have the part number but any matco guy should have it on their truck as well as any other tool truck
About how much for that tool?

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
my first time changing my filter on the motor. what tool do i need to unscrew the black plastic cap???
all so, what filter can you run pre-pump. the guy before me has a carb fuel filter. was thing of putting a aeromotive or allstar -8 or -10 in line.
thanks in advance!
Dan
dunno if there's a special tool or not, but I used a 1/2 inch ratchet and a 3" extension. fit in the square hole in the top of the black plastic lid. piece of cake!!!

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Yeah Im aware of what you meant. I thought you already had an answer. My cq filter came with a cap. It has a one inch nut on the top for tightening/loosening. The cap is attached to the filter on this one. Throw it away. The ford cap doesnt require a special tool. Take a screwdriver or socket extension(id use this) and hit the ribs on the cap to loosen it. If you have an old 'big' socket you could cut reliefs in it to make your own ratchetable tool for taking the cap off. Using the above mentioned methods Ive only replaced my ford cap once and at 240k miles the second one is still good but my new filter came with a cap. I prefer the factory caps, fyi.

You DO NOT need a fancy tool to remove that!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yah, i don't have a 1/2" square in the center... i'll try the strap wrench, than i'll go buy a new cap with the 1/2" on it.
thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I took a pc of 1/8 X 1" strap and welded 2 pcs of 5/16 round stock about 1" long onto it that fit into the recessed spots on the lid. Made a good wrench for mine. And I buy racor filters which were the oem on ebay from a seller in Houston. $199 for a case of 12 filters = less than $17 each. These are orig and need the orig lid.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I have one of these but it is from a different vendor. Fuel Filter Removal Tool It works good.
I have also used long handle channel lock pliers. I put the handle ends in the slots of the lid and unscrew it. You could also take a piece of PVC pipe and set it on the lid and take a permanent marker and make some marks on it that line up with the slots in the lid. Now cut the slots in the PVC pipe to line up with the lid. Now drill a hole all the way through the top of the pipe and insert a screw driver as a T handle and you made your own ghetto fuel lid remover for under $5.00. Look at the price of the fuel filters at Diesel Innovations compared to Car Quest. http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/ra7fufiel.html You don't need the filter with a lid because you already have a reusable stock lid. I recommend these filters and a stock lid for a no leak installation.
http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/fufireto.html
http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/ra7fufiel.html

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I took a pc of 1/8 X 1" strap and welded 2 pcs of 5/16 round stock about 1" long onto it that fit into the recessed spots on the lid. Made a good wrench for mine. And I buy racor filters which were the oem on ebay from a seller in Houston. $199 for a case of 12 filters = less than $17 each. These are orig and need the orig lid.

:whs: Racor oem fuel filters can also be bought at Powerstrokeshop .com for under $20.00

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I just use the same wrench I use to remove my oil filter, works perfect.

If you ever buy one with the lid made on the cap. DO NOT THROW THE ORIGINAL AWAY. Those lids are expensive. Also, using TylerDurden's method works, but sooner or later you will crack the cap. You won't realize it, fuel will spray everywhere, soaking your hood insulation. This causes the hood insulation delete mod.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just use the same wrench I use to remove my oil filter, works perfect.

If you ever buy one with the lid made on the cap. DO NOT THROW THE ORIGINAL AWAY. Those lids are expensive. Also, using TylerDurden's method works, but sooner or later you will crack the cap. You won't realize it, fuel will spray everywhere, soaking your hood insulation. This causes the hood insulation delete mod.
is this the voice of experience???????

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I have one I got at Napa for $13. 3/16" strap metal with a square punched out of the center for a 3/8" ratchet. I used the same lid for 6 years without any problems. Apparently I got lucky.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I usually take 2 screwdrivers and hold them with one hand and place the ends in the filter lid on opposite sides. Then I place a pry bar between the screw drivers and turn it that way. I have also used a channel lock pliers in place of the 2 screwdrivers.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
I have 2 extra lids in my toolbox and an extra filter. Never know when youll need one on the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts