Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of fuel conditioners is everyone using ??

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
Power service(diesel kleen), amsoil, stanadyne, redline just to name few, just dont run anything stupid like Lucas or seafoam. When I lived out west I would use powerservice to boost the winter blend diesel, mainly cause you can biy it anywhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I run Amsoil diesel concentrate in the summer and diesel concentrate with cold flow improver in the winter. They just changed all the names of their fuel conditioners so i'm not sure what its called now. I find however if I don't add it to a tank of fuel now I get a little bit of grey smoke on start up. Not sure why and I'm not trying to be "that guy" as I run amsoil in a lot of other things I own with no issues.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
im using the factory filter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: fuel conditioners - why not Lucas or Seafoam?

just dont run anything stupid like Lucas or seafoam.
Can you share your opinion on the above? I have heard good things about both those products and have used them once or twice. Just added, Lucas to my 94 IDI 7.3.

You have got my curiosity.

Anybody else have a comment or opinion?

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
Well they are a so called dual use product, for gas and diesel, and those are sketchy to me, Lucas claims to boost octane but doesn't boost cetane levels so that's not beneficial. Both claim to clean injectors, and on a tiny gas engine injector but on a diesel injector, particularly a 7.3 injector I don't see how that little bit of product is gonna help in any way to clean them if you need it. I only run a fuel conditioner to boost cetane levels since most places run a low cetane rating. Not to mention im pretty sure Lucas is an alcohol based product, which has always been a no no with diesels all my life. Now seafoam os more of a carbon cleaner, but its really harsh on seals and such, I used it on some gas engines and while it takes alot of product it does work, it also ate threw a couple of head gaskets on a truck of mine and I have no urge to have that happen on my 7.3, now remember this is personal onion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amsoil diesel concentrate, run they're stuff everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RevX and Stanadyne

·
Registered
48 Posts
5 oz Ford Mortorsport Cetane booster(red cap summer and black cap winter) and 1qt valv 2cycle oil in the fuel tank. Purrs like a cougar. Since I started the fuel additives I mentioned, the loud 7.3 HEUI has quieted down clack clack noise to a more rumbly don't mess with me sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fppf 4oz 24oz 2stroke wt3 the cheaper the better on the 2 stroke oil
2000 f350 srw 4x4 6 spd hydra chip runs like a champ

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Diesel Kleen for it's anti-gel properties and that's it. I really don't believe the snake oil claims of all these products that boost cetane *or* octane regardless of what you dump it in, gas or diesel. Come on, make up your mind. As far as it cleaning anything, I really don't buy that either. Anything that would dissolve the shoe polish that builds up in the fuel system would have to be a pretty volatile solvent like toluene or similar and thus rather flammable/explosive. Too explosive to be safely combusted in our engines. Furthermore on the dirt issue, what happens to that dirt once it's magically dislodged from say within the fuel pump? It just travels it's way further downstream only to get stuck in an injector? Buying clean and unadulterated fuel is the only sure way of keeping a happy fuel system. The anti-gel component is about the only added benefit of off-the-shelf fuel additives for those of us that live in colder climates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts