Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my truck is leaking fuel BAD out of the fuel bowl. I just changed filter, and put the new seals in that come with it... I also tightened the crap outta the thing. There are no cracks in the bowl, the fuel is squirting right out of the cap. Tomorrow I will replace the filter , but could this be a pump issue or something else?

Thanks guys

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Are you sure it is coming out of the bowl and not the O rings on the back of the bowl??

· Registered
745 Posts
Are you running a BB? Some times you can tighten to much. I would pull it all apart and double check every thing. Did you cross thread it?

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you running a BB? Some times you can tighten to much. I would pull it all apart and double check every thing. Did you cross thread it?
No BB, I have taken the lib on and off and tightened and retightened about ten times so it isnt cross threaded... yet. The seal is brand new and doesnt look chewed up when I pull the lid off either.

· All done now
23,170 Posts
Did you put the gasket on upside down. It goes on pointy side up. I would say to lube it with a little fresh fuel, but it sounds like you got that part handles already.

Also, make sure you didn't leave the little oring from the old filter down on the bottom of the standpipe.

· Registered
81 Posts
The first time I changed my filter I had the same problem as you. No matter what I did it would leak. When I tightened the crap out of it, it got even worse and was like a water fountain. (It was tightened so muc that the lid sat flush on the bowl) I ended up getting a filter with the lid which solved my problem. I didn't even need to tighten the crap out of it and there is even space between the lid and the bowl now.

· <----Nice headlights!!!
1,965 Posts
Get a new filter with a lid. I got one from Napa two weeks ago and it leaked like a stuck pig. Went to carquest and got the premium one listed for 75 and the guy charged it under somebodies farm account(I paid for it and he took it off their bill) to give me the 'fleet discount'. Paid 22.74 and it worked beautifully! Cheap crap will give you poor results. 238k miles and Ive just replenished my original filter supply. My dad got me a gross of HIX filters with the lids. They always worked well.

· All done now
23,170 Posts
I usually use the ones with the built in lid. If you do, do not throw away the old one. I usually just spin them down really snug. Start the motor and snug a little more if it is still leaking.

· Registered
748 Posts
I went through 3 or 4 filters w/lids in a week before i found one that sealed properly.

surprisingly it was a nappa filter that worked after i tightened the crap out of it

· Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,999 Posts
Either the gasket is upside down, or you got fuel filter parts from Napa.

I don't know why, but the Napa stuff always leaks for me.
:whs:

It only took me one Napa gold to figure out never use another one.
I use Racor and get them for under $20.
Stock original lid and a Racor and have never had any issues at all. I use the Racor on 3 of my work trucks for 10 years now and no problems.

· Registered
4,144 Posts
I tried 2 of the ones with the lid and they both leaked. I bought 6 racors off ebay for around $16 ea. Problem solved. Can't remember the sellers name but he is in Houston. When I need some more I'll go back to him and get some more racors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.