Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 and I'm rebuilding the fuel bowl. For the sake of simplicity I'd like to remove the heater from the bowl. I took the heater mechanism off the filter pedestal, so now I'm left with the harness plug and its little silver connector for the heater. Can I just have that plug in there without the heater or will it short out and blow fuses? Please see the picture for a reference.

On a side note, I read somewhere that a guy had a leak from that plug, so he tapped the hole and put an npt plug in it, and just taped off the harness plug and stashed it to the side. Is that a better idea than using the harness plug?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If the wire isn't plugged into the fuel bowl there's no power to allow it to short out.

Just disconnect the wire and insulate the terminal of the wire to keep it from grounding out.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If "simplicity" means the easiest _procedure_, do the above - disconnect and tape off.

If "simplicity" means you want the cleanest simplest _setup_ as a result, then indeed, remove and replace with an NPT plug.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I CUT the plug off the harness then crimp on a heat shrink butt connector. It seals the wire and insulates it from going to ground

·
PSN local
161 Posts
I just took my heater out of the fuel bowl a month ago and left the silver tab exposed inside the bowl and I didn't unplug from the bowl on the outside of it and no short yet

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just curious, but why would you delete it anyway? Doesn't it help with gelling issues in the cold?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Just curious, but why would you delete it anyway? Doesn't it help with gelling issues in the cold?
So to NEVER have it short out and levee you stranded on the side of the road. As for gelling…. not going to happen in the filter housing, it would happen in the ice cold line. The SDs do not have any heaters from the factory, and guys have been deleting the heaters in OBSs for YEARS fill not gelling issues

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not being a jerk but if it shorts out what would happen? How would it leave you stranded? I'm sure it's fused. Not sure tho I'm new to the 7.3s kinda. I work on cats every day and right now in the Winter we have installed fuel heaters right before the filter housing for gelling issues and it seems to help I guess when your in -35° weather trying to start equipment any heart source is helpful

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
So to NEVER have it short out and levee you stranded on the side of the road. As for gelling…. not going to happen in the filter housing, it would happen in the ice cold line. The SDs do not have any heaters from the factory, and guys have been deleting the heaters in OBSs for YEARS fill not gelling issues
Brad, you sir are mistaken, sd's most definitely do have a fuel bowl heater

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
One of Ford's "Better Ideas"; the fuse for the heater also energizes the PCM. Fuse blows, no start. Unsuspecting owner replaces fuse, it blows again as soon as he turns the key.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Not being a jerk but if it shorts out what would happen? How would it leave you stranded? I'm sure it's fused. Not sure tho I'm new to the 7.3s kinda. I work on cats every day and right now in the Winter we have installed fuel heaters right before the filter housing for gelling issues and it seems to help I guess when your in -35° weather trying to start equipment any heart source is helpful
The same fuse that power the fuel heater, powers the ECM and glow plugs.(Fuse 22) You pop that and the truck will Not run or start

ghohouston, you are right, I even disconnected in in my 2000. Don't know what I thought that:doh:

·
PSN local
161 Posts
The fuel tanks are going to gel before the filter does...I think the only time you need that heater is if you live in an area were temperatures are always going to be way below freezing for super long periods

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
The same fuse that power the fuel heater, powers the ECM and glow plugs.(Fuse 22) You pop that and the truck will Not run or start

ghohouston, you are right, I even disconnected in in my 2000. Don't know what I thought that:doh:
lol it happens. sometimes we are SO SURE something is the way it is in our head, and it turns out not to be. i do it all the time

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info guys. i'm going to cut the harness wire and secure it well so it doesn't short. also will keep some fuses in the glovebox.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts