Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does something exist for the 6.4? I know the 6.0 has the option but has anyone made anything for these motors yet? Contemplating just a bypass and leaving the fuel bowl there and plug it up. How would you recommend doing this? This is on a truck with a vegistroke that is/was experimental. There is a second set of OEM filters mounted down on the frame rail so this one is completely unnecessary and we're trying to figure out a way to reduce purge times and to ensure no WVO is left in the bowl. It seems now diesel is going in and going right back out and leaving all the WVO sitting in the top of the bowl and never really purging it.

·
FNG
7,417 Posts
You trying to find something for Clay?

·
WWDD
10,745 Posts
Elites fuel system is all there is at this point.

What is trying to be done is to figure out a way to hook to the high pressure fuel pump and just run a regular 1/2 line to the pump. Other wise what you could do is come up with a banjo fitting to hook where the fuel bowl is. You will just have to regulate the pump down to like 10 psi and it should be ok.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You trying to find something for Clay?
Yeah. We have all been brainstorming about it on the veggie board. I was just curious if such a creature existed.

Elites fuel system is all there is at this point.

What is trying to be done is to figure out a way to hook to the high pressure fuel pump and just run a regular 1/2 line to the pump. Other wise what you could do is come up with a banjo fitting to hook where the fuel bowl is. You will just have to regulate the pump down to like 10 psi and it should be ok.
Forgive my ignorance here, as I'm not at all familiar with the 6.4 fuel system. I understand how a common rail works, but why exactly couldn't you just run a line from the fuel pump to the injection pump and bypass the fuel bowl?

Here is where I'm reading from and getting ideas... http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6.4L_Fuel_Supply_System.pdf

It seems like you could just mount an Airdog or some other pump and regulate it to 10-15psi, then run lines right to the injection pump and bypass the fuel bowl up on the motor all together no?

What do you mean hook where to the fuel bowl is?

The problem is how the WVO and diesel just wont mix during purging. It seems the bowl is holding WVO, and when purge starts, diesel gets pumped in and right back out and leaves all the WVO just hanging in there...

Thanks for the response guys.

·
WWDD
10,745 Posts
Yeah. We have all been brainstorming about it on the veggie board. I was just curious if such a creature existed.

Forgive my ignorance here, as I'm not at all familiar with the 6.4 fuel system. I understand how a common rail works, but why exactly couldn't you just run a line from the fuel pump to the injection pump and bypass the fuel bowl?

Here is where I'm reading from and getting ideas... http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/subsites/diag/6.4L_Fuel_Supply_System.pdf

It seems like you could just mount an Airdog or some other pump and regulate it to 10-15psi, then run lines right to the injection pump and bypass the fuel bowl up on the motor all together no?

What do you mean hook where to the fuel bowl is?

The problem is how the WVO and diesel just wont mix during purging. It seems the bowl is holding WVO, and when purge starts, diesel gets pumped in and right back out and leaves all the WVO just hanging in there...

Thanks for the response guys.

The main reason i said hook it to the banjo fitting where the fuel bowl was is because you have to remove the turbos to access the injection pump, If you willing to do that, then you are good to go with like you said run an air dog down to 10psi and it should be fine. The fuel pressure is regulated in the fuel bowl on a 6.4, in the return line

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main reason i said hook it to the banjo fitting where the fuel bowl was is because you have to remove the turbos to access the injection pump, If you willing to do that, then you are good to go with like you said run an air dog down to 10psi and it should be fine. The fuel pressure is regulated in the fuel bowl on a 6.4, in the return line
And the cab has to come off to do turbos right? Or not?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've done it myself, as well as quite a few others. The real pain is the nuts holding the up pipes to the back of the high pressure turbo. If you're able to get those free (they like to seize on due to the heat cycles) with the firewall in the way, then everything else is easier. From what I hear, Rudy's guy, Craig is a pro at 6.4 cab-down turbo R&R.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Elite uses a fuel block to get rid of the underhood fuel bowl. Someone that makes a V3 should be able to make a block, but you would need to replace the frame rail filter and pump because it only filters to 10micron.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.