Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have sprung a fuel leak in the valley and I am wanting to do away with that cluster of a fuel system. Just wondering what yalls opinion is on the canister filter conversion along with the electronic pump instead of the mechanical one. Worth the effort? Pros cons? Can I assemble my own kit or is it best just to buy a pre packaged kit? Thanks. 97 7.3 250 HD

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to go with a kit which is the best one to go with without sinking too much money into it. I'm pretty interested in the Gazzotto kit if they are still available. I'm looking to put 700 - 800 dollars into it. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
For less than $700-$800 dollars you can repair the stock system back to as new condition.

As Patrick said, unless you plan to change out the injectors and make more HP the stock system is just fine.

You will also find problems with any of the kits or DIY systems out there and you will have leaks and need to replace things. There is nothing that will last forever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well power upgrades in the future is a definite possibility but if I can make the fuel system better and remove that clutter from the valley of the engine for a few hundred dollars more than what comes on the motor stock (that is notoriously known for leaking) that's definitely a switch I am willing to make. I have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and enjoy making something better than how I found it. And the concept of relocating canister filters to outside of the engine bay just makes a lot of sense to me. I am definitely going to convert but which kit is best for the money? And is it possible to do within that 700 - 800 price range. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
My truck is 24 years old and I haven't had a single fuel leak in the valley and am still running the stock system.

I have found that when people start messing with things is when things start to go bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I definitely agree that when you start messing with things that increases the risk of more issues but if I can improve what is there I believe that is worth that risk. This conversion seems to make things operate with less potential points for failure or leaks, while making less cluttered and easier to work on, in addition to better filtration. I understand Murphy's law and there is no perfect system but like I said I think there is room for improvement.

·
Project Shamu
3,070 Posts
At 320,000 miles, mine was untouched and leaked faster than I could piss. I put efuel on it and it has been leak free for 60,000 miles again. I'm also using a variation MarkFuga's kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is he still assembling those kitsch? I tried to contact him via phone with no luck. Also what price is it?

·
Project Shamu
3,070 Posts
I bought mine 5 years ago, I talked with him a couple years ago and he was still selling them. Prices change all the time, idk what he charges now, nor do I remember what I paid lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His kit appears to be well made and affordable but I am having trouble getting in touch with him.

·
College Student
214 Posts
I just did a full swap a month ago and it cost around 700 all said and done.
I used a super duty pump with CAT pre and post filters. Its not hard and takes about half a day if everything goes good.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
On all my trucks over the years (4 now) I eventually go to electric fuel. Use stock 7.3 electric pump and Donaldson P558000 water separator pre pump filter and Cat 1R-750 post pump, mounted on the inside frame rail between transfer case and front tank. Don’t worry about a fuel heater as winter fuel has great additive packages to prevent jelling. Aeromotive regulator is what I use to control pressure at about 65 psi at idle. There are a number of ways to connect to the block, read up on system here under a search. Tan truck I just did this fall, used stock line to the engine, stock lines from the heads to the regulator. For the feed side (on the block) used Russel fitting and Russel lines and feed into the back of each head which is probably overkill, you can use the stock lines and buy a connection to convert at large banjo bolt. Lots of great info on here, just gotta search a bit. Have logged thousands and thousands of kilometres never a issue and cleans up top of engine, recommend doing it and worth the hassle over the stock leaking pos system.
j

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got in touch with mark fugazzotto and I think I really like his kit. It seems convenient and reasonably priced. I'm not sure of the specific brands he uses though. (Pump, fittings, etc.) I thank y'all so much for yalls input. It just makes sense to do this conversion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check out 444fab too. No frills like Mark F but with a little style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts