Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about 6 weeks now I've had a squeak coming from my front right wheel, it sounded like a brake squeal, was only audible when the truck was in motion, and only after a few minutes or more at freeway speeds. Pressing the brake didn't change the noise at all, and it wasn't audible in reverse. The noise would become higher pitched as speed increased, and went away at about 45 MPH. The sound (when audible) was worse in a low speed turn of either direction.

I tried lubricating the U-joints and shafts, no change.

Disassembled the front brakes (pads are only 5 months old) cleaned everything up really good, reassembled with new hardware, no change.

The Ford mechanic said it sounded like a wheel bearing was just starting to go, and allowing the rotor (when heated up) to rub the heat shield just barely, so I bent the heatshields in a little on both sides to test his theory, again no change.

I just couldn't see my truck having a bearing failing at 51K, I barely haul with it, and don't beat on it at all. My last SD was on the originals at 200K when I sold it.

I was about to start replacing U-joints and maybe a hub assembly when I decided to just tear it all apart and look for anything else that moved that I may have missed.

And then BINGO!

In the hub assembly, there's about a 2mm gap between the two main parts. I noticed some caked in rust/dust/grit, and proceeded to soak it with PB Blaster. After letting it soak a while I scraped out the chunks of crap with a micro-file (it's a tiny gap) and sprayed it out with some carburetor cleaner and compressed air. I finished by spraying a tiny bit of liquid wrench into the gap.

After a 20 mile freeway drive I took an exit, and leaving the offramp I heard NOTHING, finally.

I Googled, searched forums, took it to 3 different shops in a month, all to no avail.

The worst part is that I found several threads on various forums where guys who had similar problems replaced hub assemblies that had zero play, and weren't growling. I wonder how many of them may have missed this simple issue.

I had it apart no less than 3 times, but never noticed the crap in that tiny gap. So I thought I'd post a thread on it as a heads up for the next guy.

And to think, I was about 5 minutes from replacing both front hub assemblies. While that surely would have solved the problem, it'd have been one hell of a waste of cash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
NICE JOB!!!! That noise has been driving me nuts had the truck apart twice went through everything ! I gave up and used the radio trick to solve it. Read your post went out the garage and bingo all gone . Thank you

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NICE JOB!!!! That noise has been driving me nuts had the truck apart twice went through everything ! I gave up and used the radio trick to solve it. Read your post went out the garage and bingo all gone . Thank you
I'm glad I could point you in the right direction.

To update, I traveled about 500 miles over the holiday, and never heard a peep from the wheels, so I'm 100% sure that was the cause.

I'm telling you, I was so friggin annoyed a few times I could have set my truck on fire.

I knew it wasn't anything catastrophic about to fail, but I couldn't stand having my truck sound like some creaky POS with neglected brakes.

My wife's pretty happy to not hear me bitching about it every time I get home now.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
LOL feels good to get it figured out. Sometimes its the simple stuff! We can start shooting for the moon and over look the minor easy things.
Been in your shoes before,
Good solve!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for this post, I took my front brakes all apart, cleaned up the rotors & new pads, bur don't have it together yet. The old pads have chunks missing, pads were also wearing odd patterns. Now that I saw this thread, I will pull the hubs & clean them out like yours, I've got a squeek too.

Thanks Again.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for this post, I took my front brakes all apart, cleaned up the rotors & new pads, bur don't have it together yet. The old pads have chunks missing, pads were also wearing odd patterns. Now that I saw this thread, I will pull the hubs & clean them out like yours, I've got a squeek too.

Thanks Again.

Happy New Year!
Pulling the hubs isn't necessary to clean out the gap, it's easy to get into with the rotors pulled. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but pulling the hubs was a PITA last time I did it. Pulling the hubs will definitely make it easier to remove them down the road when a bearing goes out though.

The thing that boggled me, and every tech that looked into my squeak was the fact that it didn't change if the brakes were depressed or not.

I was pretty sure it was a U-joint, until I greased the snot out of them and got no change in the noise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sweet i think i need to try this but im not so mechanically savy.....atleast when it comes to takin apart a wheel......can you get to this with just takin the tire off or more? sorry for newbing it im still learning an dont feeel like droppin that kinda money

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet i think i need to try this but im not so mechanically savy.....atleast when it comes to takin apart a wheel......can you get to this with just takin the tire off or more? sorry for newbing it im still learning an dont feeel like droppin that kinda money
If you can pull the wheel, and the brake rotor, you're all good.

But any reputable brake shop should be able to do the whole job for 1 hour of labor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
id like to do it myself...i have the same issue with noise so this seems to be the likely fix i just need to find a jack thanks man!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same prob on a 2010 F150 lariat 4x4....sounds like a brake squeal ... toch brakes and stops , let off brakes and starts again ... doesn't do all the time but most of time...replaced rotors and pads twice , had in 2 different shops and they say all brake components are in good working order.....but yet still have the squeak....bearings are good , any ideas ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
So for about 6 weeks now I've had a squeak coming from my front right wheel, it sounded like a brake squeal, was only audible when the truck was in motion, and only after a few minutes or more at freeway speeds. Pressing the brake didn't change the noise at all, and it wasn't audible in reverse. The noise would become higher pitched as speed increased, and went away at about 45 MPH. The sound (when audible) was worse in a low speed turn of either direction.

I tried lubricating the U-joints and shafts, no change.

Disassembled the front brakes (pads are only 5 months old) cleaned everything up really good, reassembled with new hardware, no change.

The Ford mechanic said it sounded like a wheel bearing was just starting to go, and allowing the rotor (when heated up) to rub the heat shield just barely, so I bent the heatshields in a little on both sides to test his theory, again no change.

I just couldn't see my truck having a bearing failing at 51K, I barely haul with it, and don't beat on it at all. My last SD was on the originals at 200K when I sold it.

I was about to start replacing U-joints and maybe a hub assembly when I decided to just tear it all apart and look for anything else that moved that I may have missed.

And then BINGO!

In the hub assembly, there's about a 2mm gap between the two main parts. I noticed some caked in rust/dust/grit, and proceeded to soak it with PB Blaster. After letting it soak a while I scraped out the chunks of crap with a micro-file (it's a tiny gap) and sprayed it out with some carburetor cleaner and compressed air. I finished by spraying a tiny bit of liquid wrench into the gap.

After a 20 mile freeway drive I took an exit, and leaving the offramp I heard NOTHING, finally.

I Googled, searched forums, took it to 3 different shops in a month, all to no avail.

The worst part is that I found several threads on various forums where guys who had similar problems replaced hub assemblies that had zero play, and weren't growling. I wonder how many of them may have missed this simple issue.

I had it apart no less than 3 times, but never noticed the crap in that tiny gap. So I thought I'd post a thread on it as a heads up for the next guy.

And to think, I was about 5 minutes from replacing both front hub assemblies. While that surely would have solved the problem, it'd have been one hell of a waste of cash.
Thank you so much for the explanation and tips. Would you mind indicating where the 2mm gap was? What are the two main parts of the hub? Thanks a bunch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts