Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been hearing a loud humming noise coming from my front end the last 2 weeks. I finally jacked it up and pushed up on my wheel ( standing with the tire in front of me I pushed at the top of it). To my suprise it moved about an inch. I know that this is not a good thing but I am not positive what it is and how much it is going to cost me.I also noticed that when I spun the wheel the u-joint was also rotating with it even though the hub was set to "auto". I did alot of reading about needle bearing and such. Is it somthing that I can just replace the bearing on or is it the whole assembly? Is there a diagrame with a exploaded view or any instruction that I could take a look at? I need to do this this weekend I am afraid to drive it anymore.

Thanks

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Either the ball joints or the main bearings. Lug nuts tight?

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
I would assume it is the bearing because of the humming noise you mentioned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the lug nuts are tight and so are the ball joints. Is it just one bearing that I can replace or is it the whole assembly? I have the tools and equipment to disassemble any thing. I also saw alot of grease on the u-joint

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes the lug nuts are tight and so are the ball joints. Is it just one bearing that I can replace or is it the whole assembly? I have the tools and equipment to disassemble any thing. I also saw alot of grease on the u-joint
Sounds like the bearing.. It is a unit bearing hub, you just buy the hub and install. You will need a new yellow o-ring seal on the hub. Your bigger problem sounds like the outboard side of the axle shaft is heat welded to the hub/needle bearing. If that is the case you will need a new outboard axle shaft and u-joint. The needle bearing will be new with the reman'd hub.

Pull it off and see. I would not drive it with an inch of play. That is a lot of heat. Look for scoring on the axle shaft at the u-joint side where it rides in the hub needle bearing. Hubs are about $300.00 - $350.00, I don't know what the axle shaft will cost.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
4wd or 2?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts