Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the process of going thru 2 motors, one with 230K and the other with 300K on them. Going to have both down to the long block and was planning on replacing both the front and rear mains just to be safe since I'm that far in.

How hard are they to replace? Anything to watch out for? Any special tools needed once I'm to that point?

Or am I just asking for trouble???

Thanks for the help!:bowfast:

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
front is easy.... rear you are supposed to use a special tool... if you dont do it right you will mess up the seal and have to buy another and it can be a pain lol.... just take your time putting them on and you should be ok

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
The front seal is trickier than the back IMO. There is a procedure and threadlocker is required to keep the front seal in place. The rear one you can easily snug in with a light hammer if you focus and keep it even as you tap it on.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
front is easy.... rear you are supposed to use a special tool... if you dont do it right you will mess up the seal and have to buy another and it can be a pain lol.... just take your time putting them on and you should be ok
The front seal is trickier than the back IMO. There is a procedure and threadlocker is required to keep the front seal in place. The rear one you can easily snug in with a light hammer if you focus and keep it even as you tap it on.
Ok, I've got conflicting info back to back!!:eek:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Hire Badluck to do the front, and 02BigD to do the back. Simple.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Hire Badluck to do the front, and 02BigD to do the back. Simple.
:whs: LOLLOLLOL

My experience, I didn't get the front on correctly the first time I put it on, didn't get it right the second time either :doh: There is a tool that snugs the seal in there evenly, which WAS needed in my case. The rear, I wasn't able to borrow the tool because everyone I talked with just tapped it on. As did I with no leaking issues since.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
With front and rear seals. Unless you are doing a rebuild. I have found, "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it".

·
Let'er Buck!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I'm beginning to think with the 230K motor I've got tore apart right now. Not getting a full rebuild, just updated. No signs of it currently leaking, even from the hpop.

Now the 300K motor that I'll be working on next month... It's leaking oil from everywhere - oil cooler, turbo, hpop, and quite possibly the seals. Who knows though, I might find once I get it cleaned up and the old stuff off, that it's not as bad as I thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts