Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was just wandering if you can just get a longer U bold and stick some plate steel in there for a lift im only looking for about an inch or mabe 2. i know you can do it with the rear but is the front going to mess up the steering and what not? thanks also if anyone has longer u bolts for the front and back i may be interested.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
no it's not, but a pretty bad idea...these companies do tons of R&D to make the products right...if you're looking for a cheap way to do it order an RSK you'll get a better ride and it's safer than backdoor fabrication....

Chad

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Spend 100 bucks on a add a lift if your wanting cheap lift.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I spent under a hundred on my leveling kit from top gun customz....best deal I could find and was safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Adding blocks to the front is dangerous and should never be done. Mainly because of the added stresses caused from steering.

The front can be lifted 1"~2" fairly cheaply with an add-a-leaf. Around $80 for a set from Rough Country.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Add a leaf works, but at the cost of ride quality. You can do a DIY 2 inch shackle lift, I took 4 stock shackles cut two long and two short figured it out to be 2 inches longer, you butt weld them together. I also added a peice of 1/2 x 1/2 steel bar on the outside of both sides, cut them just short of the bolt holes to make room for the built in washer on the bolts n nuts, WOrks awesome and it will never fail. You wil have to re adjust your stearing wheel some, and never use blocks on a front axle, it causes to much stress from axle wrap. Thats why all good lift kits use new springs with more arch, and even then at a point, you need traction bars on the front to keep it working right.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Add a leaf works, but at the cost of ride quality. You can do a DIY 2 inch shackle lift, I took 4 stock shackles cut two long and two short figured it out to be 2 inches longer, you butt weld them together. I also added a peice of 1/2 x 1/2 steel bar on the outside of both sides, cut them just short of the bolt holes to make room for the built in washer on the bolts n nuts, WOrks awesome and it will never fail. You wil have to re adjust your stearing wheel some, and never use blocks on a front axle, it causes to much stress from axle wrap. Thats why all good lift kits use new springs with more arch, and even then at a point, you need traction bars on the front to keep it working right.

Dan
Making or buying a longer rear shackle will increase your caster angle. Not sure you want to be doing that, unless you're planning hydro assist!! Haha! To do shackles properly, you should be dropping your front leaf spring mounts as well. And, to gain 2" of lift, you'll have to add approximately 4" to your shackle. That's getting to be a pretty long shackle, especially for the front.

Our leaf sprung trucks ride like crap to begin with.... They're solid front axle truck with leaf springs, I certainly did not buy my truck for the ride quality! I added a leaf and couldn't even notice the difference.

My 2 cents.

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Making or buying a longer rear shackle will increase your caster angle. Not sure you want to be doing that, unless you're planning hydro assist!! Haha! To do shackles properly, you should be dropping your front leaf spring mounts as well. And, to gain 2" of lift, you'll have to add approximately 4" to your shackle. That's getting to be a pretty long shackle, especially for the front.

Our leaf sprung trucks ride like crap to begin with.... They're solid front axle truck with leaf springs, I certainly did not buy my truck for the ride quality! I added a leaf and couldn't even notice the difference.

My 2 cents.
Exactly. I put an add a leaf on mine and there really wasn't that much difference in ride quality.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I,ve talked to a few and some say they thought the ride was harder and a few sai it was the same. I know about the caster change, I do alignments all the time here at the shop. An alignment is a lot more than just a toe adjustment to, sometimes you have to loosen bolts and move other things like cradles , control arms. I figured I gained maybe a half degree of caster for the amount I twisted the axle, most cars have a big difference between the high side and low side too. We always put more in the right so it will stay on a crowned road. Other wise it becomes a ditch seaker, too much and it wants to go left. Hondas are weird youcan have back wards caster with them and they still go left. But anyways It works and what ever way you do it is your choice. I,m not saying my way is the only way, its just the way I did it. I had the parts here to do it so it only cost me time.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I,ve talked to a few and some say they thought the ride was harder and a few sai it was the same. I know about the caster change, I do alignments all the time here at the shop. An alignment is a lot more than just a toe adjustment to, sometimes you have to loosen bolts and move other things like cradles , control arms. I figured I gained maybe a half degree of caster for the amount I twisted the axle, most cars have a big difference between the high side and low side too. We always put more in the right so it will stay on a crowned road. Other wise it becomes a ditch seaker, too much and it wants to go left. Hondas are weird youcan have back wards caster with them and they still go left. But anyways It works and what ever way you do it is your choice. I,m not saying my way is the only way, its just the way I did it. I had the parts here to do it so it only cost me time.

Dan
Not too sure if half your post is relevant.

But regardless of all that, I just did the math, and if you increase your rear shackle by 4" (which will gain 2" of lift), then your caster will change just over 4 degrees. That's HUGE!

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Its not, and I only made them 2 inches longer. My truck sits level now, so thts all that counts. I can do an alignment on it if I want and tell ya what caster is, I know its not gonna be 2 degrees more, but if you say so, you can believe that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I was just asking im goint to do a full lift but i was just interested

1 - 14 of 14 Posts