Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Solareclpse
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bad hub on my passenger side that i jus ordered a new one for 91 bucks shipped ( the best price i could find) i have a few questions tho. do i need any special tools to do it? will i need to press the old one out and/or new one on? and my hub locks are stuck it seems.i take the metal clip out and try with all my might but cant get the locks out.so is there something im missing?does the wheel have to come off to get the locks out? also i pulled all the vacum lines off of my hub for the auto locking system and i capped off the nipples on the hubs and also capped off the one nipple on the 4wd solenoid that leads to the hubs.is this the correct way to bypass the auto lock system? and will it work in the sense that im thinking that, when i shift the locks to locked they will be locked manualy and when i flip them to "auto" they will actually be unlocked? ok sorry for the long post please let me know because soon as this part comes in im wanting to go right to work in replaceing it. thanks guys

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
They are supposed to just pull right off the end of the shaft. I have had mine off many times. You can take a hammer and lightly tap it in all directions until you see it start to move. You will probably have to do some wiggling, but it should come off. It has to.

And where did you get one for $91 at? WTF?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Once the metal ring is removed the lockout should slide off. If its not coming off you could try lightly tapping on it with a rubber mallet to free it up

·
Registered
782 Posts
And where did you get one for $91 at? WTF?[/QUOTE]

:whs::poke:

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Reach around back & lift up on the exposted axle shaft by the knuckle with your hand or a screw driver. That can make install/removal easier.

·
Solareclpse
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks ill have to try that when i get the chance.... ebay 91 bucks free shipping and warranty. i thought it was a pretty good deal.cheapest i could find. the ebay store is called AM-AUTO PARTS just for yall if yall looking for hubs. so what bout special tools or the bearing beig pressed in/out?

·
Solareclpse
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o and the vaccum bypass? is that right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rubber Mallet goes a long ways, or since your getting new ones tap on it with a hammer from each side. Mine were seized and came out after a small amount of persuasion.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
cool thanks ill have to try that when i get the chance.... ebay 91 bucks free shipping and warranty. i thought it was a pretty good deal.cheapest i could find. the ebay store is called AM-AUTO PARTS just for yall if yall looking for hubs. so what bout special tools or the bearing beig pressed in/out?
OKay. Thanks. And are you talking about the Wheel hub bearing, or the one in the Locking Hub itself?

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
everyone is correct. pull the ring clamp off and tap with a rubber hammer. spray some penatrant on the lock where the ring was. most likely they dryed out and popped an o-ring on the hub itself. once you get the lock out, take the 4 bolts out from the back side buy the shaft. It might be tight. Very important! when you put the new one in. use bearing grease inside the housing and the lock before you put it in. when these hubs get hot they cook the o-rings on the outside. I have done it this way on several trucks and they never had another problem.

is that hub a Ford hub or an aftermarket? you will hate your life if you put the aftermaket. might be cheap, but won't last.

·
Solareclpse
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm not sure ill have to check.i think its aftermarket

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
hmmm not sure ill have to check.i think its aftermarket
And did the actual hub go bad? Or is the bearing just shot? You know if its only the needle bearing, you can replace just it and not the whole hub right? I just went through all this a few weeks ago. The hub from Ford is over $250, and the needle bearing is $20.

They will tell you that you have to buy the whole unit, but you dont. I believe Guzzle has a How-To on this. Google it. It will save you ALOT of money if only the bearing is out.

·
Peon
727 Posts
Also (and not to be too much of a killjoy)--dont' get your hopes up for a long life out of a $91 hub. That's so far off of what even a sem-decent aftermarket replacement normally runs that I can't help but think it's quality will be, at best ,minimal and it's service life will be brief...

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
And did the actual hub go bad? Or is the bearing just shot? You know if its only the needle bearing, you can replace just it and not the whole hub right? I just went through all this a few weeks ago. The hub from Ford is over $250, and the needle bearing is $20.

They will tell you that you have to buy the whole unit, but you dont. I believe Guzzle has a How-To on this. Google it. It will save you ALOT of money if only the bearing is out.
You can get the needle bearing for about $4 at a bearing house. Its a standard bearing number.

·
Solareclpse
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i think just my needle bearing is bad so ill just keep the old hub around for a spare.i think the hub is bad too though because it likes to make noise when im driveing sometimes.it looks like thursday ill being doin the work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to be a downer but I only got 8,500 miles from my AM Auto parts hub off ebay. You sure got a better price than I did. My friend purchased for me off ebay and warranty is not an option for me.
Ford replaced my left bearing because I broke down out of town and the Ford part only has a 12k mile one year warranty. 12k miles thats it, what a joke!!!

I would keep a spare around for long trip and all the tools to complete the job in your truck. Don't forget the snap ring tool, Ford Dealerships love to see you broke down away from home. (Thieves)
I found that auto zone sells Duralast hub bearings for $115 with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. I know there are better quality bearings out there but when you need one on Sat afternoon broke down in a Target parking lot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Target or Walmart, for some reason when I break down I seem to always make it to one of those parking lots! OBTW the Walmart in Evanston WY has hot coffee at 6 am!

Solareclips2000- that noise your hub is making, it is a speed related "clicking" or "grinding' sound? If it is clicking, try jacking that wheel up, ensure that you have the hubs unlocked and spin it backwards.... On my manual hubs one wouldnt unlock with a standard reverse... but if I jack it off the ground and spin it, it unlocks.... not Ideal but it works. I tore it apart, never found anything wrong, packed the hell out of it and now it works fine... food for thought.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Easy way to tell if it's a hub or a bearing, jack up one side & spin it around. Listen to the sound, then swap the hubs from one side to the other & see if it changes. As far as the grinding, check your front & rear brakes for a wore out pad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts