Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit a bump at highway speed the front end is all over. The wheels feel like they are going to rip off the truck. What should I look at? It also feels like the axle is hopping up and down real hard. Kinda need a quick answer because I gotta drive from Michigan to va Thursday.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh forgot to mention it's the truck in my sig. It has 167k miles. Tie rods are brand new. I was thinking new shocks and steering stabilizer. But want to check with y'all.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Balance your wheels and check your track bar, and every other nut and bolt.

Chad

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, checked everything. Found a big dent in the steering dampner so going to replace that and the front shocks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Possibly it...not probably it though....most likely a tire....I had the same thing on my 36" iroks.

Chad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Search for "death wobble". Sounds like that's what you're getting. Notorious on Jeep Wranglers (as me how I know), Super Duty trucks can suffer from the same thing. Lots and lots of possible causes. Thank goodness mine hasn't done it yet because tracing the cause can be a real pain the neck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I'm figuring it will help to get the shocks and steering dampner but probably gonna do ball joints once I get home to va. I can do the shocks and dampner at my buds shop quick and they are cheap. Probably need to do an alignment too since we just used a tape measure when we did the tre's. Oh and the front tires ate badly worn on the outer edge from the tre's being worn.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the wheels wobble on a boosted launch. Is that normal?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Death wobble can happen at any time.

On a boosted launch with grapplers they are probably hopping. Your front shocks may be blown. Is the truck lifted?

Check/replace the stabilizer, shocks and the check track bar. Make sure the upper track bar bolt is torqued properly to just over 400ftlbs,

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truck has a leveling kit and a 2" add a leaf in the back. The stabilizer helped but ran out of energy to do the shocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts