Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having front axle grinding noises today on my way home. Turning right the front left wheel seems to be grinding in some way. Sounds like metal on metal so i figured it was wheel bearings.

Well i took the caliper, hub, and everything apart and the bearings are definitely loose but they dont seem completely shot. Would those bearings make a metal on metal sound even with some grease left in them and not completely grenaded?

So tomorrow i will go to carquest and get wheel bearings and the seal. But what i was trying to figure out is if there is something else that can grind when going around a corner? Could a u-joint make a grinding sound?

Should i just replace the U-joints and ball joints while i have it apart and call it good? What all is there while its apart that needs replaced. Also how do i tell if the hub is shot, when they are both unlocked and one tire was off the fround i spun it (with hub unlocked) and the front drive shaft was spinning, didnt think that was possible?

sorry about the long post but i need answers. Thanks

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
It will spin from residual (not the right word) contact. You should be able to hold the axle and still spin the wheel without very much resistance from the axle at all. You will feel some, but not enough to even have to grab the axle really tight.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
from my own experiences ball joints will make that sound when they get dry or worn out,its like a metal to metal creaking or screcching noise only when you turn the wheel at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will spin from residual (not the right word) contact. You should be able to hold the axle and still spin the wheel without very much resistance from the axle at all. You will feel some, but not enough to even have to grab the axle really tight.
okay man that is good to know... i was alone so i couldnt really do both....
from my own experiences ball joints will make that sound when they get dry or worn out,its like a metal to metal creaking or screcching noise only when you turn the wheel at lower speeds.
Alright im doing ball joints while i'm in there....

But i hope doing all this fixes this god awful sound because its not fun to listen to

·
< GM compact truck!
37 Posts
make sure your spindle bearings are greased well too. i put my dana 60 all together and had one that made a terrible noise. replaced it and all is well now. i bought one of these for the job.
Spindle Bushing Greaser - Longfield Super Axles

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doing Wheel Bearings now, Look at the caliper yoke when spining the wheel. My break rotor was rubbing the yokr and thats the metal on metal sound that I found. It didnt gring the whole time but when it was stoping turning or a hard bump. the bearings didnt have that much movement to it till I drove it because of the weight. look at e-bay bought a set of bearings for 165 for the set. good luck with it..............

·
Registered
138 Posts
make sure your spindle bearings are greased well too. i put my dana 60 all together and had one that made a terrible noise. replaced it and all is well now. i bought one of these for the job.
Spindle Bushing Greaser - Longfield Super Axles
Yes check your spindle bearings. They will eat a axle in a heart beat. My dana 60 In my old Ford got the axles tore up because people either forget or dont know there are bearings inside the spindles. And it makes one heck of a grinding noise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts