Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the front 4 x 4 driveshaft on my 02, as the CV joint, or whatever its called has worn out, my plan is to have the local machine shop fabricate me a new one without the joint, is there any other suggetions people might have before i do this, and what might this cost me to do???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cant you just replace the U joints in it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you can replace the u-joints yourself if you are halfway mechanically inclined. why in the world would you want to delete it? it causes very few issues, and just makes 4 wheel drive operation that much smoother. my 05 I replaced just the 1 joint in my cv, of course it was the second on in so I had to dismantle the good joint to get to it. little bit more complicated than a single ujoint but not impossible. hey if some goof ball on an assebly line can put it together, how hard can it be :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont these have a ball and socket type joint in the middle of them? That is where the play is. The U-joints are fine. Ive dealt with these before on the older trucks and i think it is/was a stupid idea. From what i can see of it there is a ball and socket joint in it where it pivots. I may be wrong, but thats just what i see.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah if the ball and socket is worn it will have to be replaced or deleted. I suspect however that if you delete it you will get much more driveline vibration. I think they used it so the didn't need to run equal ujoint angles. How bad is the actual slop.kind of surprised it would wear out first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is one u joint by the front pumpkin, and one on each side of the joint, totalling 3 joints. The U joints are good the ball and socket is bad, and you can move the shaft up and down better than an inch, it will make noise even in low range 4 x 4, its really bad!!! Like i said the shaft will move up and down over an inch, so that is why i was going to get a new shaft without the joint.

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
the cv's are there because of the angle make sure your not screwing yourself over by going 1 piece you know ford wouldn't spend the coin if it weren't needed IMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts