Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently only in 4x4 my front end has been making noise and the front drive shaft started chirping, all hands pointed to a u-joint issue but after checking them we came up with nothing. I checked the fluid level in my front diff and it was all milky. Next step is to pull the cover off and drain the fluid, the magnet on the plug had no metal shavings on it nor was there any in the fluid on my finger after checking. I am new to this so if anyone can point me in the direction of what to check for when I have it open to see if there's a big problem going on it would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mechanic friend checked the ujoints just inside the front wheels and on the front drive shaft he says they were all good feeling and didn't feel good about just buying parts to throw at it without really seeing anything wrong, that was before I found out about the water issue.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Check the u-joints at the wheels. Jack it up and lock the hubs and turn the wheel all the way to one side and see if the rotate freely. If they check fine try pulling off the hubs and looking for damage there.

·
That thing got a Cummins?
1,229 Posts
If the hubs and hub bearings check out ok, you may have a wasted bearing in the carrier or pinoin shaft. Since the diff oil was Milky, that means it had water in it and could have ruined some bearins. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts