Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found the cause of my clunk/thunk sound when going over bumps and turning at low speeds and at highway speed with rapid jerks of steering. I've jerked on everything under there and everything is tight.

It seems like it's the left side leaf spring, at the rear the bottom leaf is moving back and forth with movement of the wheel and you can definitely see it. It's rubbing against the top leave that bolts to the shackle.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Red X is what is moving, white line is the rubber bushing or something, and yellow X is what the leave is rubbing against.

Attachments

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Mine moves too,but no clunk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone recommended pry them apart and grease them.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Ford sells a kit to make them quiet. 1c3z-5b302-aa My dealer said it did not exist.I made his lazy tail look it up.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem. you can get new spring isolaters from any spring shop for a couple bucks, but I was told by Ford that those leafs are discontinued. the new leafs are tight together, so they dont clunk, similar to rear leafs. my father had mentioned that i try pulling the clamps tighter to keep the leaf from slapping, but I would think it's worth looking into that kit from Ford that riverjet mentioned.

Grease is the last thing you want to put between the leafs. any spring shop will tell you that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it may be shack bushings because there is a lot of movement in the shackle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrong terms. What I mean is the rear hanger for the leave springs move a bunch. Not the shackles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts