Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 7.3 4x4

Driving home last night started smelling something burning. Truck was running fine, didn't hear anything or feel anything unusual. Figured it was a car ahead of me and kept on my way. Got off the highway and noticed the truck was pulling pretty hard to the left. Pulled off and sure enough, even on a slight decline the truck wouldn't roll forward (ZF6 in neutral). My front drivers side wheel was hot as can be compared to the passenger side. Brakes weren't smoking, but it smelled like it was burning. Limped her home and parked her. I am away for the week and won't be driving the truck.

What happened? Caliper took a dump?

I am assuming I will be needing to buy a new caliper and possibly brakes and rotors. What else will I need if anything?

Thanks guys

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
Caliper may just be stuck on its pins or slides, depending on construction, but most likely the piston is locked. If you are super diligent about vehicle maintenance then I would repack the wheel bearings and flush the brake fluid after remedying the seizure and doing what you already mentioned. Damn that blows.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
I'd start by checking the pins clean them up if they are the prob. DON't put wheel brg grease on them use dry film or silicone grease.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine did this recently on the passenger front. I first disassembled and relubed the caliper pins with the official caliper slide pin grease. They were fine but it doesn't hurt to relube. Finally had to replace the caliper TWICE before the problem went away. It was bad. I would get smoke from the wheel well. Intermittent too it would get hot, then I would pull over and shut off for awhile and then I could drive the rest of the way home with normal working brakes.

You can't repack the bearings since we have unit bearing assemblies. Just slap it all back together and hope for the best. The rotors are very large and can take a good heating much better than the small non-vented single layer car rotors.

The brakes are really quite simple and easy to replace on a SD. It just takes bigger tools.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the caliper, bled the lines and put some new fluid in the system. One of the caliper pistons was frozen and was actually damaged/cracked! how that happened I have no idea. Maybe just age. Thanks for the help fellas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.