Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on what I think is a good price ($500) for a front axle. It does not have the brakes but other than that its supposed to be complete. The guy selling it said I would need to buy the brackets that go on the frame to attach the arms and whatever coils I would want to go with. I am thinking the coil suspension would give me a better turning radius than my leaf spring suspension. Currently when I turn to sharply my tires rub my leafs. Am I out in left field with this thought? Also is this a bolt on mod or would it require more fab work?

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I have a lead on what I think is a good price ($500) for a front axle. It does not have the brakes but other than that its supposed to be complete. The guy selling it said I would need to buy the brackets that go on the frame to attach the arms and whatever coils I would want to go with. I am thinking the coil suspension would give me a better turning radius than my leaf spring suspension. Currently when I turn to sharply my tires rub my leafs. Am I out in left field with this thought? Also is this a bolt on mod or would it require more fab work?
It's basically bolt on, I had a thread on this down in the general Super Duty section. Lott, and I think the guys from Icon, had some good informative posts there, I think you have to drill a couple holes in the SD frame. Your biggest problem at this point is they are not the same wheel bolt pattern, so you will need a rear axle from the same year/bolt pattern.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Its kinda a bolt on deal, your gonna need the upper spring perches, and the bracket that goe at the frame where the lateral arms attach. the drive shaft might be another problem too, but i,m not a 100% on that one. Also the gear box is different, has a much larger pitman shaft, and the drag likes are set up a bit diffferent. You have two one that ties the knuckles together and one that goes form the box to the right knuckle at the same point the other one does. one on the top the other with the knuckle in between. Aslo you ma need the braket the pan hard bar attaches to at the frame, I dont think its the same as a leaf spring front end. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's basically bolt on, I had a thread on this down in the general Super Duty section. Lott, and I think the guys from Icon, had some good informative posts there, I think you have to drill a couple holes in the SD frame. Your biggest problem at this point is they are not the same wheel bolt pattern, so you will need a rear axle from the same year/bolt pattern.
Thanks for the input. I did not know the wheel bolt pattern was different. My tires and wheels are less than a year old so that bites:confused:.

Its kinda a bolt on deal, your gonna need the upper spring perches, and the bracket that goe at the frame where the lateral arms attach. the drive shaft might be another problem too, but i,m not a 100% on that one. Also the gear box is different, has a much larger pitman shaft, and the drag likes are set up a bit diffferent. You have two one that ties the knuckles together and one that goes form the box to the right knuckle at the same point the other one does. one on the top the other with the knuckle in between. Aslo you ma need the braket the pan hard bar attaches to at the frame, I dont think its the same as a leaf spring front end. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks. I did not know there was that much difference. I may have to think about this some more before I pull the trigger on the axle.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I would wait and see if you can find a donor truck for the entire front suspension and axle and rear axle etc. I've run across a few and I wasn't even looking hard. It's winter so people will be wrecking their trucks, keep an eye on Craigslist.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would wait and see if you can find a donor truck for the entire front suspension and axle and rear axle etc. I've run across a few and I wasn't even looking hard. It's winter so people will be wrecking their trucks, keep an eye on Craigslist.
:whs:

I doing this again for the second time on my new truck. Find a donor truck pull everything off. All brackets and gear box and your done.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
All brackets and gear box and your done.
Just a note of caution, in my thread on this swap it was mentioned the sector box on those models was weak, one person had modified the later model pitman arm to fit the early model sector box. I believe it was simply reamed to fit.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
OP there are a lot of threads on this already, many with a good amount of details. do a search and some reading to decide if its something you really want to do

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP there are a lot of threads on this already, many with a good amount of details. do a search and some reading to decide if its something you really want to do
I did but I could not come up with much. I have never had much luck with the search feature on any of the forums I am on. Not sure if its me doing something wrong or the search feature?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
use the google search up center top, not the boards search link on the right...
That works a million times better. I learned a new trick today:bowfast:

·
Registered
54 Posts
the bolt patterns are not diffrent from my 2001 to my buddies 2006, the back spacing needed is an inch or so diffrent but not anything major

·
Registered
66 Posts
yea there the same bolt patterns on the srw trucks... only 05+ dually changed ... the srw 05+ rear axle and front axle is just wider and the wheels have larger offsets

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's a very easy swap as most of the holes are already there. You need to find a donor truck that you can get the Spring buckets and radius arm brackets and all the other hardware. Your steering box will work but you will need a Reamer to enlarge your pitman arm. Call Cliff at Pacific Reamer at 510 654-1844 and let him know that you are looking for a pitman arm reamer for a Superduty. My total cost for the conversion was around 2K with a new 6 inch lift.

Good Luck

Dana

1 - 14 of 14 Posts