Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Freshly rebuilt with big problems

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  matthewd11 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker and have benefited in a big way from the forums. I recently rebuilt the 6.4 in my truck because the pan seal rotted away up front and I wasn't gonna pull a 200k motor for one seal. This truck is a daily driver, but i do go off-road about once a month, nothing crazy.

The rebuild was new seals all over, heads trued, crank polished, new ddpm stage 1 cam, ddpm push rods and valve springs, head studs, .020" mahle pistons, new main, cam, and rod bearings, new crank oil pump (original was chipped), turbos rebuilt, 6.0 style manifolds, some extra exhaust piping removed, new 5 inch exhaust, SCT street tune and probably some more stuff I can't remember.

After finishing rebuilding the engine on the weekends, Its back in the truck and is running after solving an air in fuel problem. It was running great and honestly seemed really solid. I changed the oil after about 400 miles a few days ago and didn't see any metal in the filter or oil. Today while driving I noticed the engine was starting to develop a thump at idle speeds. Not long after I got a low oil pressure light on the dash. It was only at idle the light came on. I probably drove it longer than I should have to get it to a buddy's house and parked it there. By the time I got there the thumping was audible up to around 2000 rpm. Also out of seemingly nowhere its leaking oil out of the back of the engine. Not a ton but its there. It seems to be from up high like the hpfp cover; there's no oil in the bell housing.

The truck has a ton of power and didn't drive differently than it did before. My best guess is I have a hole in a piston, and the fuel dilution and pressure is causing the other issues. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any advice or direction? A rebuild like that was pricey and I don't really have the means right now to just pass it off to a shop. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
If the engine is running smoothly and you can’t hear the “thumping” out of the intake or the exhaust then you probably have a connecting rod bearing issue. The low oil pressure warning is a clue. Ironically enough a hole in a piston won’t effect oil pressure. And if you did have a hole in a piston it would be smoking like a train and blowing glow plug harnesses out. It will also throw misfire/balance fault codes with a broken piston.

Post a video if you can. I would check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

Did you have the big end of the rods reconditioned?

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.