Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to freshen up the ol 7.3... She tows the boat fine to the water and around local, but when going on long distance hauls, you can tell she is getting tired. High EGTS, high fuel consumption, and low HPOP pressure after an hour into travel. I was looking to possible order a new set of injectors (preferably single shots) along with a new HPOP and wicked wheel. A lot has changed since I used to follow all of this stuff. Half the companies I once knew are now out of business. Who are the new reputable companies for the injectors, HPOP, and turbo wheel? My tuning is a 15+ year old DP tuning, so that would need to change as well.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Rosewood Diesel gets lots of good feedback here on PSN for injector rebuilds. Cncfab or Dieselsite sells good rebuilt HPOPs. As for turbos, better route might be to replace the factory.. KC Turbos sells a nice drop in turbo that copies the SXE technology or you can go with a SXE turbo (requires new uppipes, lines, and a few other things - there are kits out there). 1023 Diesel sells Irate SXE turbo kits. As for chips - look at the PHP Hydra, you can download programs at home with a laptop. Nice not having to pull and send the chip out for new tunes. Tuners: 1023 Diesel, Jelibuilt, PHP (canned tunes only), there are a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now.

Cj

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about maybe a KC drop in turbo, but its not worth it to me to do different up pipes, pedistal, etc. I was leaning more toward a RiffRaff billet wheel on the stock turbo, but not quite sure yet if it will actually make a difference. I would assume I will need to get a "bigger" turbo in order to move more air for the EGTS. The trans has about 50k miles on a full rebuild, so it "should" be able to handle it. As far as the tuning, does anyone use DP anymore? I see that they are still around, but not much is talked about in recent history searches.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
KC Turbo's drop in turbos are just that... drop in. I actually did just that the first time I installed the KC Turbo. No need for different up-pipes or pedestal if you don't want to change them. Later, I changed out my up pipes to bellowed up pipes cause the doughnut seals were leaking and I'm tired of trying to get them to not leak (breaking the flange of the original Y-collector didn't help). My pedestal had a slight oil leak so I also switched to a non-EBP pedestal to eliminate that as well.

Cj

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your EGT and air issue is almost certainly caused or increased by boost leaks. If you still have stock up pipes, then you should really consider doing the bellowed ones and a new pedestal with the new drop in. However, at that point you would be getting close to T4/sxe territory.

If you really want to just mod the existing turbo, then the KC balanced assembly will be your best bet. It is about $500 and has a new compressor wheel, new turbine wheel, and new shaft all balanced together. This will be much better than just slapping on a compressor wheel.

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L 4R100 RWD DRW
90 Posts
These old powerstrokes tend to have and store codes withought throwing an egine light (due to not being that serious as say a "misfire" for example). You may want to start with stopping by a shop with a capable scanner to pull your codes and report them here if any. A cheap off the shelf scanner wont be able to pull manufacturer specific codes and they are not stored under global OBDII, it will have to be something like a Snap-on or comprarable shop level diagnistic tool. There are some simple things like cleaning out the EBP pipe/sensor to restore fuel economy. Loose CAC clamps or holes in the CAC boots, exhaust leaks from boken manifold bolts, stock up-pipe doughnuts, a dusted compressor wheel from the poor filtration of the stock airbox, etc. etc. Lots to look at and address. You should see if any systems are unhappy and showing codes first though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your EGT and air issue is almost certainly caused or increased by boost leaks. If you still have stock up pipes, then you should really consider doing the bellowed ones and a new pedestal with the new drop in. However, at that point you would be getting close to T4/sxe territory.

If you really want to just mod the existing turbo, then the KC balanced assembly will be your best bet. It is about $500 and has a new compressor wheel, new turbine wheel, and new shaft all balanced together. This will be much better than just slapping on a compressor wheel.
Im pretty sure my up pipes are leaking due to the age, probably going to upgrade to the bellowed style if I decide to dump money into it. Right now I was thinking 180/stock or 160/stock, bellowed up pipes, ATS ported housing, and new tuning... then see where my HPOP pressure is after the new sticks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on the ported housing. Go with the KC balanced assembly and you will be set for those injectors. This will be much better value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts