Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clam was here. Haven't logged in for two years. Excursion has been running two years without issues. Glad to be rid of the 7.3. Towed Seattle to Alaska, Alaska to South Carolina and back to Alaska. Now it just goes to town for groceries. Still need to make another towing run to Seattle and back though.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't. I'd just buy a semi tractor and get it overwith.
Issues: cooling system is too big and too small. Cold in winter, hot when towing in the summer. Allison works perfectly stand alone. Should be able to make the ECM and TCM communicate on this exact setup, but there's a bad wire somewhere and I got tired of looking for it. It works fine as is.
Clam out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Glad your happy.. Personaly i wouldnt have pulled a 7.3 out for the cummins, but thats me.. I like both engines, just dont see it worth the expense and effort.. On edit, try a different turbo, and likely your over heating will end.. I had the same issue with my 05' dodge, and seen several un modded trucks with dropped valve seats due to the overheating that both dodge and cummins originally said was normal..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The freightliner front cover/rear gear train requires me to use the freightliner ECM which seems dead set on forcing me to use the restrictive VG turbo. So I'm stuck with what I have.
I installed the Cummins after the 3rd time the powerstroke fell apart-at 117,000 miles thanks to #### Cunningham rods. It was time for something more reliable and the cummins certainly is that at this point. However, as you pointed out, the expense was horrible. A tractor would genuinely been cheaper.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have had excellent luck with all 3 of my 7.3 powerstrokes.. They get the crap worked out of them too, and my buisness depended/depends on them.. The highest mile'd one is a f450 with 4.88 gears, 351k on it.. The 05' common rail, i had was a good truck overall , but i constantly had to monitor egt's, and in the summer it ran much hotter then i like a truck to.. Certainly not a truck i would retire to my work crews.. It's a shame you cant change out that turbo, likely it would cure your heating issue, and you would have a great combo there..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts