Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but didn't come up with a long list of answers. Questions for anybody who has done this.

1. How many miles have you put on one to date, since install of course.

2. Did the width between wms's change at all?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I am familiar with free spin for trucks that didn't disengage the front axles

but these do so I am ??
have a link ??

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
I believe he is talking about the dynatrac kit. It replaces the unit bearings with the old style bearings you pack yourself. I have no experience with it. I'm still on oem units at 220k miles

Reactions: 444whitehorse

·
Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bluke got it. Sorry for being vague. We ran 255k on oems, no issues. Bought a cheap unit when the drivers side went, to get us through until recently when we planned to buy new oems. Well, put about 6k on the cheapo, and it crapped the bed, not surprisingly but gloriously all the same. Put the new oems on, moog, and the passenger side lasted about 1000 miles. On goes the old one. The moog units are lifetime warranty, but I'm not too thrilled about the idea of pulling hubs every 10k or less...

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
Only hubs to run are timkin from 1a auto. @1ATony can take care of you. $1800 for a kit is ridiculous IMHO

·
Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noted. I agree also, my problem is I'm dealing with a different parts house than I always have in the past. The GM lady behind the counter hates me already for having two reman steering gears warranted just a year after the initial purchase, and less than a week later again. I just took her the hub yesterday and she gave me the stink eye something fierce.

My old go to store in Montana, they'd have warranted anything for me no questions asked. And I kept spending my money there, for that reason. I might be looking for a new parts house now

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the Dynatrac kit on my 00. IIRC I installed it in 2007 and I probably have 40-50,000 miles on it now. I repacked the bearings about two years ago but they looked just fine when I pulled them.

·
Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal. What would you say the quality of the lockouts is? Pictures don't do any justice for what they may or may not actually feel like.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I bought the kit, it came with Warn 35 spline lockouts which still work great and are easy to turn. I was offered the option to upgrade to the Dynatrac lockouts but they were brand new at the time with no reviews and not even listed on Dynatrac's website so I passed. Fast forward a few years and I did a D60 swap on my 95 but used the Dynatrac 35 spline lockouts when I built the axle. They are shorter than the Warn's and only require a quarter turn. The downside is that quarter turn takes a bit more effort than the Warns. There was an issue on the Dynatrac lockouts when they first came out, I think there was a barrel that could upgrade them to make the stronger at the time but that isn't an issue with the current ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts