Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our favorite post-whore's new project has got me curious... If you unlock your manual hubs, they allow the wheels to spin free of the font axle. If your transfer case is in 2hi, there's no power put to the front driveshaft. Other than the benefit of the upgraded hubs, what other benefits are there?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
On the POS auto/lock hubs I can say that they are almost always turning, they just don't like to release.

I have had the problem with the front axles turning destroying the needle bearing inside the hub assembly. Then it is mistaken for a wheel bearing failure and you buy a $300 hub assy just because that needle bearing is worn out. I have about three of them here that are fine except for that needle bearing. I am thinking of machining that out to accept a larger roller bearing so that it will last.

If I get out, turn the wheels and mess around with the lockout while turning the axle back and forth it will finally release. As soon as I use 4x4 I have to do this again, IMO its worse than getting out to start with and locking it in.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
I'm pretty sure you get better MPGs and you now have serviceable wheel bearings which is a big plus. They are just all around better.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
I thought too with the auto's that if they were "unlocked" when you put the transfer in 4wd, your truck had to roll 1 revolution for them to "lock" in which case if you were already stuck you'd be out of luck. :shrug:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I dunno...

beats me! I'm not going to buy a 4x4 without a manual transfer case and manual hubs.

End. Of. Story.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
True, but I think it's getting more difficult to find manual/manual in newer trucks. I know when I was looking, almost every one I originally came across had dial.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen a few. Time and patience is on my side though, haha

·
TennesseeHillbilly
1,318 Posts
Mine has manual hubs and manual shift. Never misses! If I think I might need front drive, I just lock the hubs before I leave. The TC will shift on the fly from 2hi into 4hi by just letting off the go pedal slightly.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
noticed this today on my dads. one hub is almost new and it actually unlocks in auto, the other side is old and doesnt.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has manual hubs and manual shift. Never misses! If I think I might need front drive, I just lock the hubs before I leave.
I do the same in my 4Runner.

·
Loves OBS Trucks
1,065 Posts
On the POS auto/lock hubs I can say that they are almost always turning, they just don't like to release.

I have had the problem with the front axles turning destroying the needle bearing inside the hub assembly. Then it is mistaken for a wheel bearing failure and you buy a $300 hub assy just because that needle bearing is worn out. I have about three of them here that are fine except for that needle bearing. I am thinking of machining that out to accept a larger roller bearing so that it will last.

If I get out, turn the wheels and mess around with the lockout while turning the axle back and forth it will finally release. As soon as I use 4x4 I have to do this again, IMO its worse than getting out to start with and locking it in.
Unless we are talking about a different bearing... but you can put a new bearing in there for less than 10 bucks... I did both of them on the front of my truck... here Manual Locking Hub Bearing - Powerstroke Nation

Found them locally...

We might be thinking of different bearings though.

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
I'm pretty sure you get better MPGs and you now have serviceable wheel bearings which is a big plus. They are just all around better.
Getting rid of the unit bearing is the #1 advantage with this kit. This is especially helpfull if you're running bigger tires. When the unit bearing fails, you're immobile. With the freespin kit, you just do bearing maintenence instead of worrying when your stocker is gonna go out.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Unless we are talking about a different bearing... but you can put a new bearing in there for less than 10 bucks... I did both of them on the front of my truck... here Manual Locking Hub Bearing - Powerstroke Nation

Found them locally...

We might be thinking of different bearings though.
Yes, we are talking about the same bearing.

My brother has sd's also, he told me long ago to remove the vaccum fitting and put a grease fitting there and fill the hub assy with grease. He has not trashed any more of the needle bearings since.

I will probably do the new needle bearing and use his idea of greasing it internally, screw the auto and the vaccum line crap. IF that fails its getting a bronze bushing or a heavier bearing installed.

I have run 35's on mine for 300K and never trashed an actual wheel bearing, just those stupid needle bearings. It is always when I am a long way from home, so I just buy a new assy and put it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts