Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use to clean your frames up? I have some rust starting on mine and can't stand it. Also can you do the same to the leaf springs they are rusting as well? Thanks

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
SEM Rust-Mort with a SEM RustShield topcoat.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I bought one of these from harbor freight.

Worked great cleaning up my new frame, all I did was use some black spray paint after I got it all clean.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
I bought one of these from harbor freight.

Worked great cleaning up my new frame, all I did was use some black spray paint after I got it all clean.
:whs:

Or a wire brush, and some Gloss Black spray bombs.

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a wire brush the first time I did it. Worked ok and I used the rustolem primer then the armor. I didn't know if spray paint or something else would look better.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
I met that thing the first day I reported onboard the USS Trenton LPD-14 .
I was going to say he obviously was never in the Navy!LOL

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
What is that thing?
air needle scaler
:whs:

One of the best tools to clean off old paint and rust from hard metal. I first tried a wire brush and that just wasnt fast enough. That needle scaler does great work........just make sure you wear some ear plugs LOL

Then again it helps that the air compressor I use is a gas powered one that use to be on a penske truck rental/leasing service truck. The only time it drops psi is when it runs out of gas, other then that it holds 110 psi.

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you all cleaned the frame did you just remove the 8 bolts in the bed and disconnect the tail lights? Or did you leave it on? I also have rhino lining and don't have access to the bolts because they rhino lined over them.

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was it hard at all? and what do they weigh?

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
My bolts were rusted pretty good and kept breaking torx bits. So I cross cut the heads and chiseled the heads off. Disconnect the taillight harness and lift off. Only took 4 guys due to bulkiness but weight wise 2 guys could lift it.

Pretty easy to remove if your bed bolts come out.

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well do I just cut the rhino lining off the heads of the bolts? will they rust after that?

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
They shouldn't rust if left exposed. They have some sort of rust preventative coating on them. Not sure if they're galvanized or not but that's what it appears to be.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I had to cut all but 1 or 2 box bolts and they were only in for 10 months so i say just cut them and buy new ones...

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will try to just cut the rhino lining off the bolts then remove it either by cutting them or welding a bolt to the top of them whatever gets them to come off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts