Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a frame to crossmember rivet that looks loose ( rust around it) I think there was a TSB out about it? what it the best way to fix it ? i think it is what is cosing the POPPING sound when I turn.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Grind the heads off and install bolts was the fix, IIRC. I remember reading it. To test, they had you use a punch to reach the rivets, then tap on it with a hammer. The loose rivets would rattle, or at least sound strange compared to the rest of the rivets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are going to take them off then I hope you have a good air chisel. Not one from harbor freight either. A good one. And a cheap dull cold chisel for it. My snap on tears the head off of them in about 10 seconds. I used to do a lot of them on radius arms. I always replaced with grade 8 bolts, flat washers and lockwashers.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Here's a link to "TSB 97-3-10". It'll have the procedure(s) for the rivets. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thats the one I could not find !!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
23 Posts
I gota send a shout out to Patrick Feely. You are a wealth of information. This just helped me diagnose the popping in my front end thats been driving me crazy. Cratos I hope it helps you as well

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
when i did my radiator support i just used a cold chisel and 3 lb hammer and strong armed it LOL i personally dont like air chisels there too loud and dont have the force.. three shots and it was off.... hold the chisel with pliers or vice grips if you do that you dont wanna hit your thumb with the force you gotta put behind that hammer.. trust me i know

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Thanks Patrick that was perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts