Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a 1985 mustang gt hatchback built 306 5 spd... i havnt drivin it in a month. Went to give it a go today and wont turn over. No click or anything...dash lights work. Radio work. Horn headlight work. Ive checked fuses all good...could it be the starter or starter soloniod? Or something else? Has fuel in tank. Guage reads half tank....

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn 30 looks... noone could say hmmmmm mabye it was the starter....well it was the starter.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmmm maybe it's the starter! Sorry I just read the post or I would have told you yesterday. HAHAHA.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
carefully jump the two terminals on the fender mounted relay and see if it cranks.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Check the wire from the starter solenoid to the starter motor and see if it's cooked. If it's broke, you will have power to the car but will have nothing to the starter.

You can also see if there's power at the starter with a test light. I have a 92 LX, that I've had for 16 yrs.

We carry BRAND NEW starters if that's the issue. They're not rebuilts, there's also NO core charge, with free shipping.

Here's a link to them for you application if you need one. Hope this helps yah out.

1985 Ford Mustang Direct Drive Starter for V8 5.0L 302ci at 1AAuto.com

Tony

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sold yhe car..... put new starter in and got an offer on it so i sold it.....had too many vehicles

·
Registered
277 Posts
For anyone looking at the thread with a similar problem, the main battery cable to the starter can become corroded giving the same symptoms as a bad starter, sometimes the nut can even loosen. Before replacing the starter it's always a good idea to clean the connection with a wire brush and see if that fixes it, saves you the cost of an unnecessary starter replacement.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this ^ and still had to replace starter....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts