Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing my oil this weekend, I found a small piece of metal on the magnetic drain plug. I have no idea where it came from, but it's definately pretty beat up on one side. On the other side, you can see on one side some stepped marks that appear to be original casting or machining. I cut open the oil filter and it was clean and free of any metal pieces. This is the only sign of metal I found.

What do you guys think it is and should I be worried at all?

Here's a link to the photo gallery. There are pics at the end that show the size of the piece, laying on a tape measure.

· South Atlanta white trash
495 Posts
I wouldn't be worried, this is coming from a guy who already blew a motor up, so take it for what it's worth.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the groves on one side may be a clue to where it came from. They are not straight, but curved. There's not much of it there, so it's tough for me to get an idea of the radius of the curve.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also fearing piston ring, but don't know what the stock rings look like and if any of them have machined grooves in them.

Know of any pics of a cooling jet or stock rings?

· All done now
22,246 Posts
That was my first thought, never seen one from a powerstroke, but a ring just does not feel right.

· you want some of this?
2,917 Posts
Well, how bout turbo parts? Looked at some of your blown turbo pics, could it be a piece of the thrust bearing/ washer ? Dont see it being a ring. It would have to have a trashed piston for the ring to get anywhere near the oil pan. You'd know it by now.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm not sure what that is, I can't tell much from the pictures. It is NOT a piece of casting, and it doesn't look like it came from a piston cooling nozzle. It appears to be a piece of stress fractured steel, but again, it's hard to tell from the pictures.

· All done now
22,246 Posts
Never been into a PSD's bottom end, is there a thrust bearing somewhere?

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Yes there is a thrust bearing, that picture does not look like it's a peice of bearing though. If the thrust bearing was getting beat into chunks like that there should be an abvious amount of crank endplay.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just don't know what it could be. Everything seems to be normal with the truck, the way it runs, engine oil and coolant temps, oil pressure, ICP...nothing seems to be out of range.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, how bout turbo parts? Looked at some of your blown turbo pics, could it be a piece of the thrust bearing/ washer ?
I think you nailed it.

I couldn't find the damaged thrust bearing from the thrashed turbo, but did find an old worn out one and compared it to the piece, and got some pics so you can see the comparison.

In the first one, you can see how the ripples on the edge match. The second and third show how the machined grooves match. The fourth picture shows the oil return path out of the turbo (with the screwdriver inserted through it) and how easily a small piece of thrust bearing could have passed out of the center secion of the turbo. The last picture is from my Blown Turbo album, but is exactly where I feel this piece of metal came from. You can click on any of these to see larger versions.

Now I just wonder how much, if any, damage was done inside the motor with this piece of metal floating around in there since at least December when I rebuilt the turbo, about 10K-12K miles ago, maybe longer as I don't know how long the turbo may have been missing the piece before I rebuilt it. I'm kind of suprised the oil filter never caught it.

· Banned
7,730 Posts
It would just have layed on the bottom of the pan the whole time. It would have to blast through the screen on the pickup tube, then shoot through the gears in the lube oil pump before the oil filter would even get a shot at it.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got to thinking, my lead numbers have been a little high in my UOA's. They came up just all of a sudden, not a gradual increase. It happened just a bit before the turbo kicked the bucket, and I'm wondering if they're related. One side of that piece is a little beaten up, so it must have been hitting something somewhere. If that little piece getting knocked around could cause the lead numbers to come up just a bit? I'm not sure what that little piece is made of, but given that it's a type of bearing, wouldn't it have some lead in it?

· All done now
22,246 Posts
I got to thinking, my lead numbers have been a little high in my UOA's. They came up just all of a sudden, not a gradual increase. It happened just a bit before the turbo kicked the bucket, and I'm wondering if they're related. One side of that piece is a little beaten up, so it must have been hitting something somewhere. If that little piece getting knocked around could cause the lead numbers to come up just a bit? I'm not sure what that little piece is made of, but given that it's a type of bearing, wouldn't it have some lead in it?
Yeppers. By golly, I think you have found it. Seriously, Charles was right, once it got into you pan, that's where it would stay. Any damage it caused on it's trip down there would have made itself known by now. Good find.

1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that definately makes me feel better. :D I'm glad it was nothing serious, and hopefully I'll see my lead numbers drop on this next UOA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.