Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what do you think about it? I went up ther for the weekend to check out CSU because i am looking to transfer there. We stayed at the comfort inn across from the waffle house. The school seems really nice and im liking the town so far. Its not to big and seems to have a lot of AG work going on. It also seems to have a lot of outdoor stuff also. I like to ride my dirt bike and fish and hunt etc. I also liked the look of the water park in denver about an hour away. Im going to hate being there the first month or so im sure because i wont know where anything is and where the roads take me and where all the fun stuff is :blah:.

I guess im just wondering who lives there/ been there etc and what you do there and how you like it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Got my undergrad at CSU, spent 1996-2003 in fort collins.
Loved it! Great school and easy access to lots of beautiful areas.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
My Mom was born and raised there, along with her 11 siblings.

In other words, I have a bunch of Aunts/Uncles/Cousins still in the area and visit frequently. We also lived in Laporte when my Dad was in Vietnam.

In the last 15 years or so, the downtown area has been rehabbed and it has really come back alive. I love all of the eating/drinking spots and the outdoor dining available.

It is also rated at the top for places to retire, due to it's relative low cost of living, climate and activities.

One of the best bosses I have ever worked for has an Engineering and MBA degree from CSU and I believe they are well respected as a university.

The mountains are close, lots of outdoor activities (including Horsetooth Reservoir) and it has all of the bigger city amenities that you could want.......without the big city hassles.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think Ft. Collins is a great place to live.

If you go and you're wandering around, take a drive up Rist Canyon. When you get to the school house (Stove Prairie), straight ahead is the ranch that one of my uncles used to run for a rich Texan. To the right of the school house, and on both sides of the road for about 4 miles, is the land that my other uncle used to own (he sold it about 15 years ago).

Attachments

·
Colorado PowerStroke Club
1,207 Posts
Ft Collins is about 10-minutes away from my house. I have lived here for 25+ years.
The Northern Front Range is nice. I don't like the weather all that well, but that's because the summer season is too short. We just had snow a few days ago!

Ft Collins has about 140,000 people, so it's definitely not small. There is lots to do, both outdoors and indoors. If you like to watch sports (Denver is only an hour away, and there is also the Budweiser Event Center at Loveland where you can watch indoor football, and ice hockey.
Bandimere Speedway is only an hour away, and Colorado National Speedway (oval track) is only 30-mins down the road.
Fishing and hunting is really close, but don't expect to find any large lakes. There are a few public lakes, but they get super crowded.

The job suituation is not great right now, and the wages are not where they need to be for the cost of living, but that seems to be a problem everywhere.

There is a great PS truck club here though. ;)
Colorado Power Stroke Club

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything.

Shay

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
well theres a couple dirtbike tracks north on I25,one is close to the wyoming border and theres another just a couple miles norh of laramie wy.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well theres a couple dirtbike tracks north on I25,one is close to the wyoming border and theres another just a couple miles norh of laramie wy.
yeah i saw a couple tracks along the way. And im definitely looking forward to watching sports less on the TV and more in real life!

·
Registered
842 Posts
i lived south of foco in thornton and north of foco in laramie the party scene in foco is great.. lots of fun things to do around it but i have not been there in a while...

·
Registered
842 Posts
where in southwest colorado are you

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Lived here all my life, wouldnt move for nothin! You can go from the plains here to farm to the mountains to fish,hunt and what i like the most is boating. Plenty of things to do here. If you ever want to get out and hunt,fish,boat give me a call i do it all and have some pretty good leases for waterfowl. its a good place to live i think.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just graduated from CSU last May. I still go up there to visit friends quite a bit. Not only is Fort Collins a great town, like you said, kind of small compared to like Denver, but it has everything you would want or need. Quick to get out of town and in the mountains or out on the grasslands or where ever. CSU is also a great school. Plenty of kids there, so even though there are a bunch of weird dirty hippies, there are plenty of kids you will get along with too. What are you going to be studying? I did AG business, Animal Science and Land Management, and the AG department is really good and laid back too. I've been to other schools around the state and I wouldn't have traded any of them for CSU. Good luck with it.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where in southwest colorado are you
I am down here in Durango.

I just graduated from CSU last May. I still go up there to visit friends quite a bit. Not only is Fort Collins a great town, like you said, kind of small compared to like Denver, but it has everything you would want or need. Quick to get out of town and in the mountains or out on the grasslands or where ever. CSU is also a great school. Plenty of kids there, so even though there are a bunch of weird dirty hippies, there are plenty of kids you will get along with too. What are you going to be studying? I did AG business, Animal Science and Land Management, and the AG department is really good and laid back too. I've been to other schools around the state and I wouldn't have traded any of them for CSU. Good luck with it.
I am attending fort lewis college right now here in my home town and it is either a bunch of hippies or a few good 'ole western/redneck/cowboy/ag kids. So i can deal with a few hippies. I took a tour of CSU while i was up there and it looks like a darn nice campus. I like how its is kinda an ag school and town. I will be doing engineering most likely. Either civil or mechanical not sure which one yet

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am originaly from alamosa I know where durango is had hs rodeos there every year

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I visited Ft. collins over the winer, i had alot of fun out there.

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Ft Collins is a terrible city. Horrible place to live. All kinds of violence and crime. CSU sucks, horrible school with horrible professors. I wouldn't pay anyone to live in that stinkhole...

Sam

PS All you other people need to stop telling people the truth. This is a public forum - we don't want any more Californians or Texans moving there and ruining it do we? Big City burrito is where it is at for anyone in the area...

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ft Collins is a terrible city. Horrible place to live. All kinds of violence and crime. CSU sucks, horrible school with horrible professors. I wouldn't pay anyone to live in that stinkhole...

Sam

PS All you other people need to stop telling people the truth. This is a public forum - we don't want any more Californians or Texans moving there and ruining it do we? Big City burrito is where it is at for anyone in the area...[/QUOOTE]

LOL I was getting ready to talk some major smack right back for not giving very good reasons for all the smack talk about the school and town until i read your post script the SECOND time LOL. Good one u had me going for a bit there!

Thanks to everyone for your opinions so far! Highly appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts