Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 00 7.3. Pretty sure injectors are going out but I wanted to run a few tests to make sure before I drop the $1800. I tried connecting my computer and forscan to my truck. But it’s telling me that it can’t connect to the pcm. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
And you just got your rig recently IIRC ?!

I never tried via laptop so i don’t know how to help you. Alls I got is the BT dongle and iPhone and it connects easy time.

Is your car running? It must be running on my setup.

Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
it would help to know what dongle u are using bt usb ?

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
Bob W Martin 1948-2014 USAF

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
​ DieselDC;6071138 said:
Elm 327 - there are different ones

mine connects via a cable not wireless. and mine has a switch that has to be in the right position or it won't connect to the truck.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
mine connects via a cable not wireless. and mine has a switch that has to be in the right position or it won't connect to the truck.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

I have the usb dongle too but don’t use it (AE).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Both your posts are pointless until he actually says what he has. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You should do that.
Then Show me where he says "usb dongle."

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hey I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but an educated guess is laptop and truck pcm = usb dongle. Simple deduction. Wth would u use a laptop bt to connect to their pcm when a BT dongle (the image I attached) would be more efficient.

If you want to use bt with pcm integration - snap-on has a reader just like it for $15,000...

Edit: meant to say bt/wifi dongle. Bought it long ago so I forgot some of the details.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chit sorry boys my phone isn’t sending me notifications when y’all reply. Im using a usb dongle not wireless. It’s an elm 327 with usb, no switch

I did recently get this pickup but I did a motor swap with my other pickup due to bad compression, screwed turbo, and the money I’ve put into this motor lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The truck smokes on start up (80* ambient temp), will smoke until it’s warmed up, has a slight miss until warmed up, and loss of power. Smoke is grayish. Smells like burnt fuel not coolant (had oil and coolant mix awhile back too, replaced oil cooler seals). I have replaced injector #7 awhile back and ran a contribution test then, several other injectors sounded weak but were there. Most of the time it’ll fire up pretty quick but sometimes will crank with no start until cranked again. Has new batteries and cables, new ipr, new ipc, new cps, new gpr and gp’s, new uvch’s, newer starter and other more performance parts. What do y’all think if i can’t get it to connect?

·
Registered
6 Posts
if using your laptop, be sure your bluetooth is turned on. You also have to have the ignition in the on position to get it to connect. This is true with an android device and should be the same with the laptop. Is the icon of the car in the upper left hand corner turning green?

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Chit sorry boys my phone isn’t sending me notifications when y’all reply. Im using a usb dongle not wireless. It’s an elm 327 with usb, no switch

I did recently get this pickup but I did a motor swap with my other pickup due to bad compression, screwed turbo, and the money I’ve put into this motor lol

Is the laptop and forscan both recognizing the dongle I had to change usb ports on my laptop to get mine stable.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
I had to register on the forscan forums to get mine to work

The program tells you when to flip the switch, btw

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got it to connect but I’m not able to do anything. It’ll connect for about 2 minutes then it’ll disconnect and tell me that it can’t find my truck.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
Sounds like a Bluetooth problem.
Have you rebooted the laptop?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, also tried unplugging and plugging back into the truck. I’m using a usb, not Bluetooth

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
​ DieselDC;6071410 said:
Hey I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but an educated guess is laptop and truck pcm = usb dongle. Simple deduction. Wth would use a laptop bt to connect to their pcm when a usb dongle would be more efficient.

If you want to use bt with pcm integration - snap-on has a reader just like it for $15,000...

Most people use bluetooth. Lol unless they're a crapple user.
And...... can also use a wifi adapter...
And... the BT (a quality one) can typically do more than the usb cables.
And I guess you like crow? Because you said he said usb in his original post. Lol
And....... what if you want to move out of the driver's seat with laptop in hand? Get a 15 foot cable? Lol

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So I got it to connect but I’m not able to do anything. It’ll connect for about 2 minutes then it’ll disconnect and tell me that it can’t find my truck.

Sounds like a setting somewhere.
If its doesn't do anything period, I would check the obd port for power. Iirc, There's a fuse.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts