Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, First timer here, I built my first diesel (LLY Duramax) a few years ago and been addicted to diesel ever sense. so picked up a nice 01 f250 7.3 powerstroke (almost 500k miles :D that still ran!) 2WD (Rust free, why I bought it) where the guy was starting a 4wd conversion, has Dana 60 front end all I need to do is get a transfer case and a drive shaft and 4wd is there, Lifted with a straight pipe/axle dump tip, 35" tires with aftermarket wheels, Manual transmission, Guages + minor mods already seems like, (ts chip, Air intake heater delete etc). for 3k$. So figure I got a good deal just in general for a 7.3 parts truck. I got the engine out as I plan on doing an entire rebuild and put forged rods in as I plan on going past 550hp (Im going 600-630 or so). So I ordered a set of used crank rods out of an older power stroke (Forged, not PMR like mine). Turns out my motors already been rebuilt with bored out/new pistons etc. found a receipt with 3000+$ worth of work, grinded crank etc, My question is....

Is there anywhere I can send these used older crank rods I bought sent off to get "cleaned up" / "resurfaced" or whatever so I can just slap new crank bearings in and put these in the motor and take my PMR's out? I do mostly small engine rebuilds and that piston pin on the crank has to be FLAWLESS. Id like that with these truck as Im already there and the blocks out etc, Going to take trans out later and get that done and take heads off to get surfaced/shaved. So while all thats done was gonna send crankrods off to get looked at / fixed up but dont have a clue where to look. Any idea on cost as well if this is possible? reason for asking I can get a older powerstroke long block (already forged crank rods) for like 2.5-3k shipped and was gonna just use that motor.

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
108 Posts
Hey guys, First timer here, I built my first diesel (LLY Duramax) a few years ago and been addicted to diesel ever sense. so picked up a nice 01 f250 7.3 powerstroke (almost 500k miles :D that still ran!) 2WD (Rust free, why I bought it) where the guy was starting a 4wd conversion, has Dana 60 front end all I need to do is get a transfer case and a drive shaft and 4wd is there, Lifted with a straight pipe/axle dump tip, 35" tires with aftermarket wheels, Manual transmission, Guages + minor mods already seems like, (ts chip, Air intake heater delete etc). for 3k$. So figure I got a good deal just in general for a 7.3 parts truck. I got the engine out as I plan on doing an entire rebuild and put forged rods in as I plan on going past 550hp (Im going 600-630 or so). So I ordered a set of used crank rods out of an older power stroke (Forged, not PMR like mine). Turns out my motors already been rebuilt with bored out/new pistons etc. found a receipt with 3000+$ worth of work, grinded crank etc, My question is....

Is there anywhere I can send these used older crank rods I bought sent off to get "cleaned up" / "resurfaced" or whatever so I can just slap new crank bearings in and put these in the motor and take my PMR's out? I do mostly small engine rebuilds and that piston pin on the crank has to be FLAWLESS. Id like that with these truck as Im already there and the blocks out etc, Going to take trans out later and get that done and take heads off to get surfaced/shaved. So while all thats done was gonna send crankrods off to get looked at / fixed up but dont have a clue where to look. Any idea on cost as well if this is possible? reason for asking I can get a older powerstroke long block (already forged crank rods) for like 2.5-3k shipped and was gonna just use that motor.
Really someone that builds racing engines should be consulted, some things to consider are :
 Visual inspection;
• Straightness and alignment;
• Magnaflux for cracks;
• Bushing replacement;
• Hone big and small ends;
• Resize big and small end;
• Check bolts and change if needed;
• Shotpeen; and
• Balance if necessary.
That said with you looking for 500+ hp I can’t offer much more other than happy building!

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
108 Posts
Right on! Thanks, Know any reputable shops online I can pack my rods up and send em to em?
I think kill devil diesel machines for race engines. They are on web, but really any machine shop that handles race engines or even non race engines should be able to handle that sort of work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts