Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good Morning PSN!

i've read many times over the years that people like putting this additive in their ford power steering pumps that are spec'd to use ATF. Matter fact, on the mustang & explorer type of forums, it seems that ford techs are/were trained to put it right in the pump reservoir due to a TSB, which i have yet to find. and i've been reading on this forum to see if anybody agrees/disagrees but have come up with nothing.

Anyway, I have a noisy pump on a gas powered ford of mine. i've flushed it a few times since i installed it, but it still whines... oh well. they say this additive quietens down the typical ford p/s pump whine and lubes the system without swelling seals.

Now, this stuff is used in rear diffs if i understand correctly. Anybody ever use this stuff for any other reason than what it was designed for?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
never heard of using it in a PS system

and it stinks to high hell just fyi

the function in a limited slip rear is to get rid of clutch chatter
so there may be something to your findings
but i would try a good syn PS fluid flush first if it was mine

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
is this the crappy plastic bodied power steering pump?
If so you will never get rid of the whine once it starts no matter what you ad!
I do not see the friction modifier hurting anything, its good at anti foaming

With those plastic bodied pumps I have been through the ringer trying to get them to quiet down, a full flushing does little if anything at one point I even tried a lubricant made from bananas and one with whale sperm in it. Best stuff you can try is lubeguard
see pages 22-23
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/downloads/lubegardproductguide.pdf

If you really want the noise gone you need one of these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agr-809156/overview/make/ford

I can tell you a ford suv or truck is coming from 1/4 mile when they have one of those plastic pumps from the 90's
whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiine worse then a 2 year old

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update: i put in some valvoline merc v synthetic blend i had on the shelf just to see.

results: It made it quieter idling and cruising without a load on the steering, but still is loud when turning on asphalt, low speed turns, etc lol! kinda what i expected.

I'll see how nasty the fluid is later this year and will likely either run full synth just to experiment & maybe a tad bit of that friction modifier OR maybe just buy that pump you posted for me 410customs!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you know, when i changed out the fluid in my superduty (with hydroboost, neat process for flushing it lol), i swear it became easier to turn! not sure if it was just me or... anyways, it seems like this truck in question is a bit easier to turn now...

new fluid will quiet it down....for a bit
I hate those dang pumps..
i love your avatar so much! lol

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
That's "ranger" my shop mutt. She is such a good girl, I found her when she was a puppy on Craigslist for $150. Yes I named my female dog after a Ford truck.
They had her listed as half Aus Shepherd and half black lab... Seems about right she is completely and totally nuts. Shes an ankle biter and always trying to "herd" people if they do not go the way she wants. She is the best dog ever around the kids, she protects them like crazy. If I had to do it over again I would definitely consider dogs from the shepherd family. I am pretty sure there has never been a more loyal dog on this planet
That silly picture is a chew toy her grandma got for her, she looked so dang funny with it in her mouth!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Australian shepherds are some of the best! i grew up with one that was about a year older than me lol, that was the most patient dog ever! just like you said, absolutely great - so patient around nosey pokey irritating kids like me lol

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
She is a good dog. I am finding myself with two of these crappy plastic ford power steering pumps again. One in my 97 and one in the excursion... I was hoping to be rid of them forever!
Excursion is making PS noise when cold...I'm gonna try the synthetic fluid flush & addative like you said see if it does not help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts