Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ford with a Cummins

14K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  splitshot 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to do a cummins in a superduty for quite a while, with the amount of information available makes things pretty easy.

2001 F350 crew formerly V10, getting a 175 HP, 12V, and NV4500

See less See more
#5 ·
Is the relay you speak of the grid heater relay? I have yet to do any wiring but was going to wire the grid heater independently. I am about to order a Destroked tach kit and I plan to just tie the Ford neutral safety to the frame rail in the neutral position.

Do I need relays for the fuel shut off or the starter trigger?
Do the heater hoses matter which way they are plumbed?
If I plumb the lower radiator hose the same way it was in the Ford?

Thanks for the input.

#9 ·
Hey Splitshot, great looking work on that truck. I've got a gasser like yours that I've been thinking of doing a Cummins swap on. I'd love to see some more pics of things you've done, and know how you adapted certain things like. Did you use the Ford AC compressor? Did you use the vacuum pump on the cummins to run you brake booster, hvac system? What did you use for power steering pump? How did you make the speedometer work with the NV?? Which alternator? Reuse the Ford V10 one? I know it's a lot of questions, sorry. I'm just really excited about seeing you do this build. Any answers about these questions, and just all the other stuff you do to make it all work would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

#10 ·
Thanks for the complements. I dont have everything done yet but I made a plate to use the ford alternator because I didnt want to be stuck somewhere and waiting days for a custom order part.

Im finishing up the tach and AC right now using destrokeds tach kit, Ill let you know in a bit how it works. The cummins I have has the vac pump on it, I used the cummins PS pump and fixed the hose to fit the ford box. Im told the ABS sensors will keep the speedo working as usual? Im about to run it this week as soon as I finish some loose ends.
Does anyone know the wiring on a V10 to the destroked tach adapter? Crank pos. has a gray wire and a blue wire. The cam pos. has a green wire and a blue wire. Which ones are positive and how are they put together?

#11 ·
Thanks for the pics and info Splitshot. You should make a " how I did mine" book of your conversion. Put in all these pics, info on all the parts you used, and stuff like what parts or fabricated things you did to make it all work. Hope to see some more about it all soon. Thanks again.

#12 ·
Finishing things up and getting a few miles on it. Destroked's tach adapter works great and hasn't skipped a beat. I would definitely plan on their tach kit and motor mounts on any conversion, they make things go so fast and smooth. I just need to charge the AC and swap the 4.56 gears for a set of 3.73s and work on the tuning and performance side of things.
Also what do you recommend for a grille to match the black wheels and lights? I have usually done the classic billet style but wondered if a black rockstar style grille might look good?

#13 ·
Wow!! That cummins looks great in there!! So how's the power compared to that old V10?? Does everything seem to be working well? Did you use the V10 radiator? What intercooler did you use? How did you do your furl system, from tank to engine? Did you use the V10 air compressor? Was the wiring very difficult? How much if any did you have to cut the drive shafts?? Sorry for all the questions, I'm very, very interested in doing my 5.4 like you have done and want to know as much info as I can get.
And for your grill, those RBP mesh grills that are all blacked out would look good with those black wheels. Are you going to go with black bumpers too? Or maybe do an 05-07 Harley style conversion??

#14 ·
Everything works great, I bought a running dodge truck for the motor and parted the rest out, so I knew the motor ran good. This will run circles around the V-10 and will tow ten times the weight. I got hosed on the radiator, I understood that the diesel radiator was different than the V10 and bought a powerstroke one that ended up leaking, and when I put them side by side the v-10 is the exact same as the powerstroke. The intercooler is out of a 7.3 superduty, fits right in. The fuel I ran new 1/2 line and a 1/2 draw strawto the cummins lift pump and tied back into the 5/16 Ford return line. The AC uses the dodge compressor to run the Ford system. I took the drivelines to a shop to adjust lengths and all new u-joints and a carrier bearing, $300.
Like I say it was a neat little project if you have the tools and time, I recommend rounding up all your parts and tear it apart, it could easily be done in a few weekends. You definitely need a welder to make exhaust, intercooler pipes, lower radiator, and intake.
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

#15 ·
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. So could I get you to take some more pics of thing you did to your truck? Like pics of the fuel system. Tank and engine ends? Are you using the ford fuel pump too?? Maybe one of you power steering lines you had to make? And one of how you hooked the throttle cable from the truck to the engine?? Did you use a super duty clutch, brake assembly and them use the dodge clutch master and slave?? Did you use the V10 fan shroud too? And maybe a pic of how the floor shifter on the inside turned out? Hate to keep asking questions, but I'm really interested in doing my truck.

#16 ·
Will get more photos, don't run the ford fuel pump, it stays in the bottom of the tank to keep the fuel level sender, just pull the fuse that powers it and do a draw straw, Vulcan and Itp and others sell a kit for 50 bucks, easy to do just drop the tank and pull the gas out while your there. I can get you a part number of a stock item power steering hose from napa that bolts right in for 25 bucks. The gas super dutys use vaccume brakes and so did the early 2nd gen dodge diesel, simply plug in a vaccume line. My v10 throttle cable worked perfect, I took a washer and mounted it to the throttle cable and injection pump, I will get a picture, then get a cable clamp from napa to clamp it on. The clutch is all new dodge style parts and dodge slave and line with a new ford master and a factory ford clutch pedal assembly for 100 bucks, bolts right in next to the brake pad. Use the ford radiator shroud but it needs trimming to clear the motor , easy to do. I will get more Picts up, as for the shifter it works good but buged me that I couldn't use the dash cup holders in 3rd and 5th so I cut it and changed it, a little different but works good.

#18 ·
The Power steering hose I used was for a 91 dodge B250 with a 5.9L, 5/16 o-ring by 16MM or something like that, you have to bend it a little to fit but worked out perfect.
If you use a factory ford transfer case you can get a input shaft for it to run behind a dodge trans (at least a manual trans, might need to check splines for autos) keep the neutral safety and wire tie it to the frame in neutral to trick to ford PCM.

#19 ·
Wow. That throttle looks simple enough. Thanks for the part info on the hose. Yeah, I've heard you can just change the imput shaft in the ford t-case to the dodge imput shaft to work with that nv4500. Do you remember where you got yours at? Pretty straight forward of changing it out in the t-case?? Are you going to try and make the cruise work or not? How's the fuel mileage so far?? Hey man, I want to thank you for answering my questions and taking pics for me to see. I really appreciate it. I might have some more questions. Lol. Hope you still don't mind answering when you can. Thanks.

#20 ·
Six states dist. 5086311AA Dodge 271 input
Ford YC3Z-7B633-BA Clutch pedal assy.
I will start messin with the little cruise type things as I get time, right now I looking to swap gears and limited slip. It has these 4.56's and its tached out at 65 and I haven't even put a tank of fuel in it yet. That reminds me that you need to modify or change the fuel filler to accept the larger diesel nozzle, I would like to see what others have done? Drill it out?

#22 ·
Haha next picture should be without the v10 badge. Rotfl

#23 ·
Im swapping gears right now. Its not very cool to be runnin 55 MPH at 2500 RPM. LOL
It runs great and haven't had any real problem yet, Im new to the mechanical injection pump and learning how to tune that (getting more power and less smoke) After I swap the gears I was going to install gauges and start buying go fast parts (GSK, fuel plate, set the timing) The Cummins has amazing torque and power and I really like how well they start even in the cold. The mileage is good too if you can keep your foot out of it and not be screwing aroung.
And yes Im looking for a set of Cummins badges to replace the V10 ones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.