Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has an 02 f250 lariat 7.3 with an edge programmer( im trying to get him to buy better) but the other day he was downloading a program and while it was downloading he cranked the truck over and now it wont start, he thought that he needed a reflash because of it so it went to ford and they are telling him that he needs a new computer it dosent respond to thier scanner.so i am just wondering if any one else has had this issue and what it took to get it running again, btw the truck dosent smoke or burp while cranking the wait to start light dosent come on anymore and he even tried a known good pcm and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
my buddy has an 02 f250 lariat 7.3 with an edge programmer( im trying to get him to buy better) but the other day he was downloading a program and while it was downloading he cranked the truck over and now it wont start, he thought that he needed a reflash because of it so it went to ford and they are telling him that he needs a new computer it dosent respond to thier scanner.so i am just wondering if any one else has had this issue and what it took to get it running again, btw the truck dosent smoke or burp while cranking the wait to start light dosent come on anymore and he even tried a known good pcm and still nothing.

Taking a stab at this, check the PCM relay fuse. It is probably blown.

Diane

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm betting hitting it with juice while installing a program might just have messed it up.

One of the custom programers on the fourm will know for sure.

Travis

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I had that exact issue when I was as the dealer. A customer was downloading a tune and something messed it up. Would not start,no response from the pcm. Performed a programmable install as a blank pcm. I was very skeptical, but it worked. And if you tried a known good pcm, and it didn't start something else is wrong.

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking a stab at this, check the PCM relay fuse. It is probably blown.

Diane
i was wondering the same but i figured the dealer would be smarter than that

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I've heard of this happening with downloaders during the download process. A different PCM was used which leans more towards a blown fuse or bad relay.

Are you certain they used the right PCM DPC family when they tried a different PCM?

Diane

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt check myself but he told me that the numbers on the pcm's matched, ill tell him to check the fuse and if that dosent work could a bad cps be in play?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
i didnt check myself but he told me that the numbers on the pcm's matched, ill tell him to check the fuse and if that dosent work could a bad cps be in play?

Even with a dead cps there should be power to the PCM. With no communication with the PCM and scanner on two differnet PCM's indicates there is no power getting to the PCM.

Diane

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya thats true didnt think of it that way anyway ill keep you guys posted on what they find and thanks for the info

·
Registered
574 Posts
why would your friend crank the truck in the middle of the programming portion of the download????

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he said he stopped at home to let the wife run in and grab something and started to download and when she ran out he started the truck without thinking. and to anyone that is wondering how the truck is doing he is out of town for work for two weeks so i wont know until then.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Have your buddy call Edge's customer service techs. They should be able to recover him with no problem. He's not the first person to do it -- trust me.
We've had to recover a few customers' PCMs over the years. Chances are that he's done no permanent damage.

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well he sold the truck didnt get it fixed, i was hoping he would so i would have some feedback for everyone but its gone now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts