Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to powerstroke and am looking for some guidance.
I have a small excavating company( trailer and excavator) which i tow around with my truck (2006 ford f 350 super duty) and would like some info on some add-ons that i can get to increase fuel and power but mainly my braking. I was told that a exhaust brake is a must. Any ideas?

Titan55

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
You need to contact Eric at Innovative Diesel Performance and get him to make you a tow tune with a turbo brake along with I recommend a 4" turbo back exhaust

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
What he said

·
SSDD
105 Posts
I would go to the 6.0 forums and do a search and see what others with 2006 have done to there's so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My question is does anyone do exhaust brakes on the 6.4 via tuning? To the OP, Eric's tow tune with exhaust brake works awesome.

·
Registered
618 Posts
yeah i would like to know that myself! becuase i tow alot any that would be awful nice

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Not that I am aware of

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I was talking with mike at KEM just the other day about tuning a brake into an H&S for my buddy and he said that he would NOT do it. He said that any experience he had with it turned out bad and it was burning up the turbo's. I also talked to BD Diesel and Pac Brake. BD has something in the making for the 6.4, and Pac is just waiting to get enough intrest in it for the 6.4 to begin their kit. Just give any of them a call and they will let you know about it. I didn't get an ETA on anything but did get on their contact list for when they are done. I have several local guys looking to do them to their trucks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Haha ya Jeff I saw that too. I was reading some threads from back in 09 and they were saying that they were about done with it. I talked with one of their design guys and he was saying that they were just using the valve from a 6.0 but the tuning kept running into problems. They couldn't get it to stop throwing codes. I wish they would get with someone like yourself or one of the other 6.4 tuners and get it figured out and get it on the market. We could really use em out here in the hills.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I think the issue is the fact they can't market these for DPF equipped trucks due to heat issues. Therefore if they release an exhaust brake for these trucks, they can't market them for on-road use. Why would a company create a product that most use on the highway for trucks that are illegally driven on the highway? They would have to market them as off-road use only, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

I think they are looking at it from a marketing and legal standpoint and seeing that it just isn't worth it for them. It will be interesting to see where it goes though. If their excuse is codes, that just sounds like a way to buy time to me.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Usually a turbo brake raises the backpressure alot correct? So maybe that is an issue along with the wear and tear on turbos

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yea I see what your saying Jeff and agree with you 100%. I wish there was a way they could do it under the table for the deleted trucks. We could really use them

·
401 Posts
When I first was talking with Innovative about this, I seem to remember Eric telling me he couldnt get everything to work right. I left it that. I loved it on my 6.0. But I think the 6.4 holds the trailer back better than the 6.0, but less than a 6.0 with the turbo brake.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I talked with Innovative as well and they said that Eric can tune an exhaust brake into a new tune he was calling Tow Performance. I guess it drives more like the street tune and pulls even better then the previous tow tune but it will also have the exhaust brake built in. But that is still running the turbo's hard. IDK about everyone else but I'd rather wait for a actual exhaust brake to come out cause I don't have the money to replace turbo's.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but now that BD has released their variable vane brake, has anybody tried it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts