Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I popped the hood to check my coolant and found it was green. The dealership installed a new radiator two months ago under warranty (Truck is now out of warranty) and obliviously didn't fill the coolant with the gold. There is also small metal flakes in the bottle. So are the metal flakes in there from Ford using the green coolant? Could running the green coolant for a couple months do any damage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ford dealer put green coolant back in my 2006 6.0 before i bought it. i figured they'd use the gold but oh well... subscribed!
Did you have gold in it before they changed it over to the green? If so, you better do a flush on it. There could be a gallon of the gold left in your engine and when they mix green with it, it turns to a slime and can cause some nasty damage.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Did you have gold in it before they changed it over to the green? If so, you better do a flush on it. There could be a gallon of the gold left in your engine and when they mix green with it, it turns to a slime and can cause some nasty damage.
i don't know lol! the prev. owner had it done & the service records aren't clear on that. i better take another looksy on those papers sounds like lol

edit: thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would double check and get all of your facts straight first. if you paid for coolant during the radiator replacemnt, check the part number and see what coolant they charged you for. if they did intentionally sell you and installed green, I would take it back and demand a flush and refill with gold. if they didnt charge you for coolant or if they charged you for gold and you arent sure what used to be in there....you really cant blame them. you might have had green in there and they refilled with gold, but now it still looks green from the green that was remaining in the block at the time of the rad. replacemnet. in that case they should have recommended a complete flush...but cant really fault them for not reccomending it.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
I would double check and get all of your facts straight first. if you paid for coolant during the radiator replacemnt, check the part number and see what coolant they charged you for. if they did intentionally sell you and installed green, I would take it back and demand a flush and refill with gold. if they didnt charge you for coolant or if they charged you for gold and you arent sure what used to be in there....you really cant blame them. you might have had green in there and they refilled with gold, but now it still looks green from the green that was remaining in the block at the time of the rad. replacemnet. in that case they should have recommended a complete flush...but cant really fault them for not reccomending it.
had i owned the truck when they did the work i'd be on top of it, but yeah i agree lol not enough info at the moment

edit: hey, how did you know the prev owner had the radiator replaced on mine? lol!

edit: nevermind, i though you were talking to me hahaha!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to Ford and they had all the records. They actually admitted to the mess up and said that green coolant should not have been put in my truck. Well, I have already flushed it all out tonight and I am replacing with cat red coolant (Did the EGR delete an coolant filter install so had to drain it out anyways). So I guess there is no point in calling Ford anymore. When I drained it out it didnt look mushy at all an idnt see anything odd in there, just lots of green new looking coolant.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Ford use to put stop leak in every vehicle they built from the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts