Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flying to Daytona Beach this weekend, and I have been thinking about this, figured maybe someone may have some answers.

After my accident, I now have the "reinforced metal plated hip" mod. This is NOT a hip replacement, but there is 3 plates and 12 pins in my hip holding my acetabulum together.

What is going to happen when I go through the metal detector? I have heard conflicting stories, that it will go off, it won't go off, just trying to know what to expect.

Also I am flying an a Boeing 777-200LR and a Douglas MD-88, do they have a power input for my laptop? I would like to use my laptop on the plane, but my battery life is only about 2 hours tops. I am flying coach on both flights.

TIA!

·
HHAUL'N STROKER
1,574 Posts
I think when it comes to the metal detector it depends on what type of metal its made of. I dont know what they put in people. Last 3 flights I took didnt have a hook up for my laptop.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most metal in your body SHOULD be titanium.... not affected by Airline metal detectors... the new full body scans will be able to see it, but shouldn't have any issues..

Laptop power..... never had much luck with it, but I don't fly 1st class either...

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
My Grandpa had his knees replaced a few years ago, and they set the alarms off everytime. They still do a full search on him even though he has a card stating he has replacement knees, lol.

Dave

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I got 3 plates and some screws in my chin and didn't set off the detectors at Tampa or Boston. I went through the full body scan as well but they didn't say anything after the scan just let me walk on.

I guess it depends on when you got the metal, should be titanium if its newer and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Maybe you'll get lucky and Dalpilot (Tim) will be your pilot LOL

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was done 7 months ago. The doctor told me he can issue me a card, but he told me even with the card, they will probably still hassle me, so if I really wanted one, I could get one. Hopefully it doesn't go off, but I am sure the body scanner will see it. Ill update on what happens when I get to Daytona tommorrow. LOL This is going to be a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The card will help to ease TSA worries but they will still pull you aside for an individual search. When I have been pulled aside it still doesn't take that long to get going again.

I have flown on the 777 on international flights and it did have power ports for laptops but I don't know about domestic flights. The MD-80 series doesn't have any power ports. If you are flying from Detroit to Daytona you won't have much more than two hours of time that you can use the laptop anyway.

·
Fire junkie
536 Posts
Got a plate and screws in both my wrist and ankle, never had a problem with it. My dad now has a plate and screws in his hip from yrs. ago has the card and all but every time he seems to catch #### over it I dont know how many times I have seen him right there in the line in front of EVERYBODY just drop his jeans to show the scar and let them run the hand held metal detector over it:eek:LOLLOL, the look on TSB faces and others in priceless...me Im usually just LMFAO

Roy

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Flying to Daytona Beach this weekend, and I have been thinking about this, figured maybe someone may have some answers.

After my accident, I now have the "reinforced metal plated hip" mod. This is NOT a hip replacement, but there is 3 plates and 12 pins in my hip holding my acetabulum together.

What is going to happen when I go through the metal detector? I have heard conflicting stories, that it will go off, it won't go off, just trying to know what to expect.

Also I am flying an a Boeing 777-200LR and a Douglas MD-88, do they have a power input for my laptop? I would like to use my laptop on the plane, but my battery life is only about 2 hours tops. I am flying coach on both flights.

TIA!
I fly about 50-60 'legs' a year for my job.

If the metal detectors are correctly calibrated, it will go off. This includes Titanium.

When it does go off, they put you in the little glass booth (unless you ask for a private screening) and then run the hand wand over you.

My wife and I have flown a half dozen places in the last 6 months and on the last one, the detector did not go off either here in Jax or at the podunk airport in Tunica, MS. She has had a complete hip replacement and it is titanium. In fact, she's batting about 70% going off and 30% not going off. It didn't even go off on our return trip to the States, from Italy, a few years ago. :eek:

I have an ICD/pacemaker and although it doesn't trip the metal detector, I don't want to take a chance of screwing it up so go the 'pat-down' route.

The biggest problem I have, is the significant inconsistencies between airports with the larger ones usually being worse.

Needless to say, we get to the airport early. :(

To answer your question about a computer plug in, I haven't seen one on any of the aircrafts I have flown. On our trip to Phoenix in November however, they now have wi-fi on some select flights with Delta.

Are you flying into Daytona (small airport), Orlando or here in Jax?

·
This We'll Defend
1,549 Posts
The 777 that I flew on last week had powerports in a few places, however I think these seats were sold at a higher price than the one I was sitting in. I really didnt need it, the on board TV in the headrest of the seat infront of me provided a bit of entertainment, so I didnt even have to charge my iPod.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stupid weather! Got to the airport on time(actually kinda late, I only got there 15 minutes before my flight lol) for my flight, and sat on the tarmac for 2 and a half hours due to bad weather in Atlanta! Now I am sitting at Atlanta delayed only about an hour to fly into Daytona Beach. No issues at all with my hip. It did not go off for me. I didn't see any power points on the plane and could not get my laptop to find an internet connection. Ended up watching Dark Knight though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts