Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fluidampr

13K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
Is it worth it?
Is it gonna help even with a balanced bottom end?
I know the Dodge boys swear by it. Who has first hand experience with it and would like to share the before and after?

#2 ·
You've probably already talked with him about it, but David said in his opinion it's not worth it. Of course, I put a girdle on my new motor when he said it wasn't necessary so.....:D I may end up putting one on sooner or later. I look at it as it's a relatively cheap thing that may or may not work, but it doesn't hurt to have it on there so with the $$$ that's gone into these motors, what the heck.

#7 ·
I know some of the 6L have had problems w/ the fluidampr,but then again thats a 6l and not a 7.3.

#20 ·
I don't believe that's entirely accurate. While the static weight of the damper is higher than stock by a few pounds, the "felt weight" while running is less due to the fact that the inertia ring is not fixed to the rest of the damper.

They are actively looking at the issue of breaking LPOP gears to determine the cause.

#16 ·
DA FLIPPA!!! :D

#24 ·
Not sure what David is referring to for sure but...

1. I was NOT being sarcastic about the FD and failures and what I said about the "felt weight". Spin the engine to 3500rpm and then snap out of the throttle. With a stock damper, the ENTIRE damper weight has to drop in speed, against the inertia that it has when spinning that fast. With a FD, only the housing has to drop that fast, the inertia ring will slow at a different rate and won't exert the same "weight" on the crank when doing it as a stock solid damper would.

2. Mike...it's not a safe comment to say that the FD is actually breaking LPOP gears (sorry, I'm disagreeing with Gene about this). The simple fact is that people have broken LPOP gears that have never run a FD. I would sooner bet that it's a combination of the construction of the gears and the fact that everyone that's broken them is running "tuned" and making more HP, more Torque and running at higher RPM. I honestly believe that they are simply exceeding some tolerance with the stock LPOP gears, be it a rigidity thing, speed thing, etc.

Come to think of it, I think David was the only sarcastic commenter in the last few posts.

#31 ·
So you think the FD may just be amplifying an existing problem on the 6oh's?

#28 ·
ALL is a pretty bold comment to make!

Like I said, FD is looking into this issue, but there are trucks that have broken LPOPs that didn't have an FD installed...so what's the problem with those?

Also, assuming that what you say is true...is it the "fault" (directly caused by) of the FD that the LPOPs break, or is the LPOP just a POS to begin with and the installation of the FD is just the "last straw" (again, most of these "decent power" trucks are running EXTREME tunes, injectors, higher RPM, etc).

How is this different from installing an Terminator on a PMR truck with EXTREME tuning and injectors. When the PMRs fail, is it the fault of the Terminator, or was it a combination of things (ie. the now much higher than stock HP/TQ) that caused this problem?

#29 ·
I've had a Fluidampr on my motor for almost a year now. It seems to have worked really well so far. I had a vibration at around 1800 rpm that completely disappeared.

#43 ·
I had a vibration at around 1800 rpm that completely disappeared.
Thats what has been missing on mine.
Thuggy it works,you should put it on cause your going need every little bit.......I have just begun:gun:

#34 ·
My bad Dennis, thought you were refering to my post about BB posting the balance sheet since you quoted it.
I did reply to that with "ouch"...but I wasn't being sarcastic.

#38 ·
I'm not sure what the issue is with the 6.0's braking oil pump rotors when they are running a FD. I do know that FD are far better than the rubber dampers that came stock on the 7.3's or the 6BT engines for that matter.

Diesel engine manufactures have been running fluid dampers on their high HP applications for years. Cummins has been using them since the early 60's if not before. CAT uses them as well as just about every major engine manufacturer.

I bought a FD and was surprised at just how much of a difference it really made. Idle is way better and the mid-range as well. There is a high RPM benefit as well, but most probably won't be able to feel it SOP. Fortunately the silicone fluids they are using in the dampers are a lot better now. Early fluid dampers used to have problems in very cold weather. I think I still have a broken 855 crank laying around somewhere

#54 ·
Damn when did Cat. start useing FD's? My 93 KW with a 3406 c had a rubber and solid ring one I know this for fact as it came apart on the way to a job. I was real lucky it just laid against the front cover I got it home drove it real slow. New one was the same as the old one solid ring type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.