Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Make sure the VSS seating surface and the corresponding Diff surface are clean, and that the sensor totally seats when reinstalling it. Cheers!

·
Registered
319 Posts
A special tool is not needed to adjust the MLPS - just align the marks on the switch with the trans in Neutral, as shown here & described in the caption:

(click this text)

That's step 1. Step 2 is to adjust the shifter cable as described in this caption:

(click this text)

Step 3 is to adjust the shift indicator, also in that caption. But make sure the shifter bushings on top of the column are not worn or loose.

(click this text)

·
Registered
10 Posts
A special tool is not needed to adjust the MLPS - just align the marks on the switch with the trans in Neutral, as shown here & described in the caption:

(click this text)

That's step 1. Step 2 is to adjust the shifter cable as described in this caption:

(click this text)

Step 3 is to adjust the shift indicator, also in that caption. But make sure the shifter bushings on top of the column are not worn or loose.

(click this text)

I will check this. But I really dont think this is the cause of my issue. But at this point I'll be checking everything. I'm a DIY kinda guy and this is my first diesel. I've had to learn ALOT in a shirt amount of time

·
Registered
259 Posts
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that you needed the special alignment tool as described in the FSM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all just wanted to update. I believe the vss was the problem. When I pulled the old one it did have metal shavings on it so I believe that could mess with the signal. Since it was pretty cheap I just replaced it instead of cleaning it. I also disconnected the mlps and the solenoid pack connectors and cleaned and greased all the connectors. I had the batteries disconnected while I was messing with the connections so that cleared the od light. So far I've drove it around a bit and it shifts alot better and seems to be normal timing and the od light has not come back on

·
Registered
319 Posts
Replacement ABS sensors are spotty at best. I'd clean the original (it only takes a paper towel, or a few blasts of shop air) and keep it in the truck just in case.

But the root problem is the shavings... Were they fine black powder, or shiny sharp flakes?

The only grease that should be used on electrical terminals is XG12 Electrical Grease; never XG3 or any other dielectric grease, or any chassis grease, or antiseize, or...

Disconnecting the batteries ALSO clears all the adaptions from the EEC/PCM, so the engine behavior will change for at least the first 50 miles. It's better to just clear codes using a decent scantool.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts