Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1999 7.3
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize right away for this being a long winded first post. I currently have a 06' 6.0 that I love(or did). I just noticed that I have the symptoms of blown head gaskets again. I had the arp heads studs and egr delete done about 50k ago. I am only a few months away from being able to make my truck a secondary vehicle and I hate payments, but I hate fixing problems over and over. The truck also is going to need a few injectors soon and new tires. So finally to my question, should I hope that dropping all this money into my truck actually fixes the problem, or should I just trade it in on a new 6.7? I drove a new one and loved it and the dealer was gonna give me 19k for mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I apologize right away for this being a long winded first post. I currently have a 06' 6.0 that I love(or did). I just noticed that I have the symptoms of blown head gaskets again. I had the arp heads studs and egr delete done about 50k ago. I am only a few months away from being able to make my truck a secondary vehicle and I hate payments, but I hate fixing problems over and over. The truck also is going to need a few injectors soon and new tires. So finally to my question, should I hope that dropping all this money into my truck actually fixes the problem, or should I just trade it in on a new 6.7? I drove a new one and loved it and the dealer was gonna give me 19k for mine.
Only you can answer that....Myself, if the chassis is in good condition and I didn't want 5 years of truck payments an a new SD I'd find a good reputable 6.0 mechanic and scare up $5,000 dollars and fix the truck you have, 5 grand or even 8 grand would take a lot less time to pay off than 50 grand jmho........and you asked for it.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
:whs: couldn't agree more make sure they check the heads and use proper gaskets when doing the head gaskets this time. Any idea why it blew after only 50K miles? Have you done the full bulletproofing?

·
1999 7.3
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really do want to keep the truck and it is in pretty good shape overall. I have a local shop that I have complete confidence in to do the job. The first time it was done at the dealer. As far as the FULL bulletproofing, I am not exactly sure what that entails. I had the studs and egr delete done the first time. I don't really know why the gaskets blew again. I used to run a hot sect custom tune, but once I got my newer, bigger boat I dropped it down to a tow tune. I do tow a boat almost every weekend in the summer that is probably 11k lbs, but that is only within the last 10k miles and I live in Illinois where it is flat. I also don't beat on the truck, usually I only run 60-65 mph towing. Should I spring for the custom age studs this time, or should I reuse the studs I have, or replace the standard arps with new standard arps?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Sounds like a tough call to make. I for one don't like the newer vehicles with all the emissions requirements that are installed. I think in the short run even a full ground up build of the 6.0 is much more expensive, but those truck payments add up in the long run.

I'd suggest to the shop that did the previous work they got to give you an answer. Consider this: There's three parts of concern when replacing head gaskets. 1) Using OEM head gaskets; 2) The quality of the workmanship done when installing/torquing the heads; 3) The workmanship to ensure the heads are good to go.

If ANY one of those three steps are not done correctly you will have head gasket issues again, and again, and again. I'd make sure they are using the correct torquing sequence and values for the studs.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
^^^ What they said +
If the heads have been machined before they will probably need replaced this time because they most likely will be to thin.
Also the deck on the block needs to be checked for flatness, the engines I have seen with HG problems have had a very uneven finish, I'm thinking there was a problem from the factory, like the finishing stone needed dressed or replaced. Probably the best way to explain it is, when you use a course long flat stone, like for sharpening a knife, the block will look like a plowed field.
So if you send the time stoning (and it can take awhile) the deck of the block, you can get it flat.
Using that procedure I have never seen a repeat HG failure.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
to answer your question for full bulletproofing I would recommend getting a new updated oil cooler, blue spring kit. 6.4 banjo bolts, coolant filter kit and everything mentioned above with the OEM gaskets and new head bolts and making sure they thoroughly check and deck the heads ect...

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
what symptoms are you starting to see, are you sure its head gaskets this time or are you just preparing for the worst?

·
1999 7.3
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am fairly certain it is head gaskets. I brought it to my local diesel shop(heavy metal performance) and he is pretty sure it is gonna need gaskets. He said he could test a few things if I could bring it back and let me know for sure. As far as symptoms it has coolant residue on the degas bottle, it smoke white, coolant level is decreasing, and if it is cold and I have the heat on and let off the throttle the heat goes cold.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I occasionally drive a 6.7L service truck at work and they do run good and sound nice but my 6.0L now that it is tuned is in the similar category but I believe I get much better mpg's. If money was no object I would go new but my reality is a limited budget so I am keeping with mines for now. Plus the money you save can boat much more lol
On a sidenote where do you boat? I used to boat a lot on Lake Michigan and occasionally on the river but haven't been out in a few years.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
sounds like head gaskets again. maybe they didnt surface them properly last time

·
1999 7.3
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I occasionally drive a 6.7L service truck at work and they do run good and sound nice but my 6.0L now that it is tuned is in the similar category but I believe I get much better mpg's. If money was no object I would go new but my reality is a limited budget so I am keeping with mines for now. Plus the money you save can boat much more lol
On a sidenote where do you boat? I used to boat a lot on Lake Michigan and occasionally on the river but haven't been out in a few years.
Thanks for the reply, I think I am going to keep it and get it fixed! As far as boating, we are usually on Lake Michigan or the Kankakee/Illinois rivers.

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
good call

i like the 6.7 interior
I just made my last payment of 611.00 per month on my 6.0

i love no vehicle payment way more than the 6.7 lol
i will put the next few equivalents of a payment aside for repairs and not sweat a payment

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
Something to think about.... The majority of dealerships don't work the heads over when they replace HG's. Just take them off, new gaskets, the put them back on. If the heads werent worked over, there's your answer to why it happened again.

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
Mine were replaced under warranty by the previous owner. Billed at 24hrs labor. Minimum work, maximum labor time...it's called the stealership for a reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts