Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rear brake inspection turned to blown hub seal, turned to axle housing cleanout (water in lube), turned to bad wheel cylinder, turned to rear brake job... its trying to kick my azz...

The fitting at the wheel cylinder was rust welded to the tube so I ended up cutting the tube right behind the nut. Its some sort of combo 3/16 tube w/ 11mm or 7/16 nut and threads? I'm hoping the hydraulic/ tube shop can help out... anyone been down this road and know what the tube fitting is?

·
Registered
246 Posts
no sorry i have rear end probs. too, but i see your a fellow Washingtonian...

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yeah, when you buy the cylinder, you should be able to find a line with the right fitting just by trying it right there in the store.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ya i had a 96 250 rear end that i put in my 97 350(mind you same every thing ) but wheel cylinders were different ..why who knows...lol

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
This is a standard tube nut available at any auto parts store 3/16 tube by 7/16-24 thread.

It might help to bring the cylinder with you. If it has been replaced some of the replacements have a different thread, 3/8-24 I think. Again still a simple standard part.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, its amazing what you find in working on a vehicle that was in a few other owners hands and that saw some rough duty in its previous life. Having the bed off has been very helpful to better see a lot of stuff. The vents on both fuel tanks and the rear housing were plugged. The creativity and patience is constantly needed to deal with lots of broken/rusted fasteners -- good thing the shop is warm/dry and I'm in no hurry (other then to just be done).

I have not tried napa yet (they were closed) and I expect they will have the part. Parts stores have really gotten to be terrible for the small hardware stuff--the other 5 stores I went into last night all had the same crappy selection of parts. Yes, I've got the cylinder with me for checking...

Hopefully this weekend everything will go back together. thanks guys

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Dont know If you got what you needed yet, but I just put ALL NEW brake lines in my truck. Both wheel cyls use a 7/16" fitting on a 3/16" line. and the drivers side of the rubber hose uses a 7/16 fitting but the passenger side uses a 3/8(go figure)

And the top side of the rubber hose also uses 7/16

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I was making progress, but thought wrong...I found the 7/16 nuts to put on the 3/16 tube, but now the issue is with the wheel cylinder-- there are different ones...

I asked for 94 SRW at both stores (NAPA and Shucks/Orielly)-- both have 1" pistons (correct) but one has a 7/16 threaded nut with a 1/4 tube seat and the other has a 3/8" threaded nut for a 3/16 tube seat. The issue is getting the 3/16 tube to seat on the 1/4 flare.

My old cylinder has looks to have had a 1/4 tube seat also (based on port ID) but has a brass sleeve/seat cone of some sort on the outside of the flare. I've never seen these sleeves before? I cant tell if it was part of the old W/C assembly or was added due to the same issue I'm having now.

I've cut/double flared this tube 3 times now before realizing that the seat is the issue as to why it wont seal. I'm ready to just install the other w/c (smaller seat and thread ID) and get the smaller nut with the 3/8x24 threads... damn

Is there a w/c that has the larger threads but the smaller seat?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HELP-- Re: fitting size at rear wheel cylinder

Brad,
do you know what cyl part number you bought to hook up the 3/16 tube w/ the larger nut?

Still running into issues on this-- heading back to napa this morning. I cannot get a 3/16 tube with a 7/16x24 nut to seat on the cylinder I have. The bore id of the seat is just too big. Should have been done with this brake job yesterday...

The deal with wheel cylinders is that they are almost all the same, but the details are the killer. The 93-94s seem to have the same part number, but the 95-96 for the same application is different.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Mine is all stock parts so I dont have wheel cyl part numbers.

I bought 3/16 nickel/copper alloy lines and made all new. I also bought all new fittings. Everything came from Advance Auto

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had 2 incorrect w/c parts... my napa didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but O'Reilly had the right part.

Seems to be sealing good with my new flare on the old tube. The nut wants to grab the old tube a little -- I've been seriously thinking about bending a new line, but we'll see how this goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts