Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this for any perhaps thinking of doing their injectors, but a little apprehensive as I was. Seasoned veterans can ridicule my madness at technique. I was only running on 6, so the swap was very necessary, but the originals have over 300k on them. Let me start by saying I read the swamps R&R a few times, read the ridin high R&R a few times and read many posts in here regarding issues(which I highly recommend) before starting. I had the originals out in 55 minutes, all removed parts layed out nicely on a table next to the truck. I had done glow plugs in the past so knew the tricks in getting the valve covers off already. For popping the old injectors out, I tried most of my array of prybars, but they are all construction related, so I used a 3/4" craftsman wrench as it made the angle about perfect and they popped right out. Number 8 would have been a bear if I had to remove the AC box, but the vacuum box on the side of mine popped right off with two 8mm screws so that injector would come out.
Blunder 1. might as well change the oil while its apart. Trying to get 15 qts of oil back in it with no valve cover turned out to be problematic.
Blunder two. dropped my 1/4 " extension in front of the hood latch and it rolled down into the grill, where I couldn't reach eat.
I also failed to purchase new o rings for the crank case ventilator and had to round those up. I took about 2 1/2 hrs more to get it all back together and running. I did run it for 10 minutes with the covers off just to check the torque on everything. I used a long needlenose plier and cotton balls to dab up the oil and crud from the injector holes. It was fairly simple to hear the ting as each injector hit the bottom, except on number 8. Not a good angle to tap it from. It did make a horrible squeal when I turned it over with glow plugs out to make sure the oil was evacuated and suck the rag into the serpentine belt (error 3) It fired off in about 25 seconds, smoked out the whole neighborhood for a while, lopes a bit, and smokes, idles erradically(tuning related) but went 15 miles and back trouble free. For the first time in a year it started two mornings without being plugged in. If I remain trouble free, I would not consider this a hard task, just one where you need to be patient.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well that makes me feel better haha i need and want to do my injectors just wanting to figure out Stage 1s or bigger

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my time allotment I did not include the neighbor factor. On my block, get out some power tools, open the hood on the truck or hook the boat up, they flock to the scene like a moth to the light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
haha thankfully i have a big shop we built i can just pull in and hide so they have to wait and listen. my neighbors always know something crazy is coming out from behind my house

1 - 4 of 4 Posts